CO2 with PH controller question?

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
The CO2 system I purchased uses a PH controller to regulate CO2. It was said to maintain a consistant CO2 levels. I'm concerned I may not dose enough CO2 with this system as the PH using ADA aquasoil will already lower PH, so if the PH controller isn't reading a PH level above the preset (i'm thinking of trying to keep a PH level around 6.5-6.7) it will not tell the solenoid to bubble CO2. The system is sold by aquariumplants.com. Anyone have any comments? And normally would dosing high levels of CO2 reduce PH and to what extent?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You could use a relative scale
This scale will change as the effects of peat and pH from ADA As changes through time.

Amano does not suggest a controller likely for this reason as well.
If you set a bubble rate etc, this does not change no matter what the water chem is .............so it's independent, anytime you use a controller, it's dependent on the pH and anything that changes that, buffers KH etc, or non carbonate buffers.........and peat/tap water changes etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
thank you for your reply Tom. Always great to hear from you. Your knowledge and experience is invaluable to those of us just beginning.

I will configure the apparatus to have a constant bubble count independent of the pH controller.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can us ethe controller initially as a relative measure, then shut off the control function or not bother, just usethe pH as a relative measure and use the valve to adjust the rate.

Regards,
Tom Barr