This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Co2 While Using A Sponge Filter

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Mike Y, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mike Y

Mike Y New Member

Local Time:
    7:28 AM
    Greetings,
    I am running a planted 75 gallon and just decided to bump it up with some CO2 to see what this garden can do. I run a canister filter with a cerges reactor and also have a sponge filter in my tank as a working back up or for the quick cycle to another tank. I am up in the air on a couple things and am looking for some help.

I know my 1bpm is getting eating up with the eheim air pump but would love to keep the sponge in there as my last connection to "simple". I realize that I should probably either up the bubble significantly or put the sponge on a timer.
    I am wondering:
    >if I put the sponge on a timer will having it not run for 10 hours hurt the biology or will it be ok since the outflow of the canister is still circulating?
    > or if I should up the bubbles and leave the air run

also, just to spice it up, I have a basic glass canopy that I use to control the evaporation. how will this affect the use of CO2 in the tank. Will this mess with the gas exchange cycle in any concerning way or am I good to just role with it?

Thanks for help in advance and if I missed this topic somewhere I apologize I'm no pro with the search engine.

-Mike

2. Chad

Chad Member

Local Time:
    4:28 AM
    I use sponge filters in my 20 gallon tanks and ceramic diffusers for the co2. I don't seem to have any issues with my co2. You will just need to up the bubbles to a point where you can't even count them. I do ~3 bps for my 20 gallon tanks. Just up your co2 and watch the fish for a couple hours.

[​IMG]

3. Mike Y

Mike Y New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. I’ll bump up the bpm to see where that takes me.

4. Mike Y

Mike Y New Member

Local Time:
    ahh your tank looks way better on my PC then my cell phone...good stuff