This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

co2 timer problem

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by gforster, Aug 16, 2011.

1. gforster

gforster Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:37 PM
    I was running my co2 24/7, but then got a timer so that it would come on 15 minutes before my lights and go off when they do. Apparently, there was not enough pressure when they went back on in the morning, so I increased it and adjusted the needle valve. The next morning (yesterday), it came on so strong that my fish were very seriously stressed and I lost an Amano shrimp (though they've been in there for ~5 years, so maybe it was his time anyway). Thankfully I got to it about 15 minutes after the lights were on (30 minutes of a co2 overdose) and everyone is fine today.

What is the best way to adjust it so that everything works the way it is supposed to? Or, is it best to run it 24/7 at a lower rate?

2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It sounds like you need a good needle valve too.

Anyway, you can set your timer to come on 2 to 3 hours before the lights and have it turn off 2 hours before the lights turn off. My timer is set at 3 and 2.

You don't need to run it 24/7 because the plants don't use the CO2 when they aren't undergoing photosynthesis. Some people run theirs 24/7 because they don't have a solenoid.

3. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have no problem running a timer with a good needle valve an solenoid.

4. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    24/7 co2 is a waste of the gas. no real benefit as far as i can tell.
    quality equipment = fewer headaches.

5. gforster

gforster Subscriber

Local Time:
    It seems I did not make the best purchase in the Milwaukee MA957 kit. Can I replace that needle valve with another or do I need to replace more parts than just that?

6. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Many people purchase a Fabco NV-55 needle valve with barbed fittings and run it inline. You open the Milwaukee's needle valve wide open and use the Fabco needle valve for adjustment.

Note that Fabco don't carry the barbed fittings. You either have to purchase them separately from Clippard or by a Fabco needle valve with the barbed fittings on them already. Clippard fittings: 11752-1-PKG: http://clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=11752-1-PKG

Fabco NV-55
    [​IMG]

You may be able to find a Swagelok, Nupro or Parker low pressure low flow metering valve somewhere too.

Swagelok angle flow w/ tubing fittings
    [​IMG]

Swagelok straight flow w/ Vernier micrometer handle and tube fittings
    [​IMG]

7. gforster

gforster Subscriber

Local Time:
    Well, I ordered the Fabco NV-55-18 today. Hopefully that will make the flow more consistent when it powers back on in the morning. The other valves are so expensive and the fabco had some good reviews, so I hope I did the right thing.

8. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Are you planning to remove your old needle valve and replace it with this one? Or, are you planning on running it inline?

What regulator do you have?

#8 Left C, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  9. gforster

gforster Subscriber

Local Time:
    OK, I received the NV-55-18. I have no idea how to attach it to the regulator. I have the Milwaukee MA957. The NV-55-18 has 1/8" thread ports. The thing is massively heavy. I would, preferably like to replace the old one. I'm so new to this, I am a bit afraid of breaking something.

10. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I suggested that you get the regular NV-55 with tubing barbs so that you can run it in line with your Milwaukee regulator.

I've never taken a Milwaukee regulator assembly apart. Some people have said that a Loctite product is used to attach the bubble counter and needle valve which makes removal difficult.

I'll tell you what you need to attach the NV-55-18 to the regulator and also what you need to run it inline.

* If you can take it apart, remove the bubble counter first and then the needle valve. You will then need two 1/8" NPT nipples. One attaches the Fabco NV-55-18 to the solenoid and the other attaches the bubble counter to the Fabco NV-55-18. Be sure to clean the threads well. Then use either Teflon tape or a non-hardening pipe joint compound for assembly. You can get these 1/8" NPT nipples from a plumbing supply, hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. (The ones at Home Depot and Lowes are made by a company named Watts. They call them 1/8" MIP vs 1/8" NPT.)

1/8" NPT nipple
    [​IMG]

* If you want to run the NV-55-18 inline, you will need these parts from Clippard.
    Get two of the "2CPF-BLK" - 1/8” NPT to #10-32 Female Reducers: http://clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=2CPF-BLK
    Get a package of the "11752-1-PKG" - #10-32 to 1/8” Hose Fitting: http://clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=11752-1-PKG (Get the package like I have listed because they come with the necessary O-rings)