This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Co2 Tank

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by csmith, Mar 19, 2010.

1. csmith

csmith Guest

So, now I've got my regulator stuff all set. Hooray! ..wait, I need Co2.. :rolleyes: I need to work on my forward planning.

55 gallon, reasonably planted, 2 wpg T-5 HO. I've only got 23 inches from bottom of the stand to the top, so a 20 lb and 15 lb tank are looking like their out of the question due to height restraints. How long can I reasonably expect a 10 lb bottle to last?

2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Bummer. My 20# cylinders are 26½" and 28" tall.

I don't have a 10#. I guessing, maybe it will last 3 to 9 months depending on rate. ????

3. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I wish I had space to fit a 20lb.

3-9 months would be about the range of most tanks. At 2wpg T5HO I suspect you'd be on the lower half of that range by time you find non-limiting CO2.

4. csmith

csmith Guest

Thanks guys. I do intend on cutting out one of the bulbs to begin with, but I'm guaging the extremes in the case that I get froggy..which I expect to happen sooner or later.

5. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I'm running 2x54w T5HO (geissman, 6000k) over a 48 (sold as an oceanic 50 gal) right now. I've been finding running each of the bulbs for half the day with a couple one hour bursts works well.

#5 Philosophos, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
  6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

A Year

Hi,

People never accept this; it is true never the less, less light in the beginning increasing with biomass. :)

With less light in the beginning starting very low on the CO2, work your way up slowly, if you choose dissolving the CO2 rather than watching the bubbles a 20lb bottle should last a year, perhaps longer. :cool: You could run a line upstairs, talk to Left C.

Everyone do as you wish, I do not wish to argue. :cool: See disclaimer. :eek:

Biollante

7. csmith

csmith Guest

I can't cut mine in half like that. GLO is all or none, not even an on/off switch. I'm basically just stuck with unscrewing the bulb until my tank gets worked up to the two.

I take more of your advice than I think you give me credit for. ;) You think I came up with the potting ozelots in osmocote plus myself (among the many other things)?

Left C spoke to me about running a second line upstairs a while back. It's improbable/impossible for me, though, as I also house an overly inquisitive animal of the toddler species.

#7 csmith, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. Biollante

Lifetime Member

You Are Kind

Hi,

Thank-you you are very kind. :)

Others read this forum and while I wish to give you and anyone else I write to my best and always honest advice and opinions, I have learned that I need to be clear and understand that some of this stuff, for whatever reasons is simply inflammatory.

I have dealt those little critters of the toddler type myself, that is why God created drills, wall fishing wires and plaster. Uh, not for the kid…:eek: to run the tubing upstairs… :D

Biollante

9. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Use copper pipe instead of tubing to connect your two tanks. Then use tubing near the tanks where you need it. ????

10. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Reinforced Tubing

Hi,

I was thinking more along the lines of reinforced braided tubing. Something like this http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3230-41003-100&Category_Code=HOSE&Store_Code=W.

The problem with most tubing over six or eight feet is that it incurs pressure losses.

Most rigid CO2 delivery tubing is Aluminum, stainless steel or PVC. I know I have seen rigid Aluminum and stainless steel with Swaged ends. Rigid tubing is a lot tougher install.

Biollante

11. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Something like those materials would be a much better solution than copper.