This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CO2 source/cost recommendation?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by shoggoth43, Feb 1, 2009.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Where are people getting their CO2? I can get a 20# tank at the local home brewing place but it's something like 130$ for a 10lb tank and then 30$ for a refill. 90$ for a 5 pound and 21$ for a refill. I don't really have a really good idea of how this compares with what I "should" be able to find.

Thanks for any recommendations.

-
    S

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

3. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

I did a search earlier. I was pretty mystified why no one brought it up before. Works a LOT better when CO2 isn't punched in as C2O. Doh! Thanks for the pointer.

-
    S

4. Russ

Russ Guest

I get mine from an industrial place called "Sparkling Carbonic," a supplier of CO2 for restaurants and bars among other things like dry ice. A reconditioned 10# tank cost me $50 and it costs me $10 to refill it. When the tank needs reconditioning and certified (every 5 years) they charage $12.

The prices you quote are extremely high. Look in the Business to Business yellow pages in your area for gas suppliers and beverage dispensing suppliers and you'll do better.

-Russ

5. abcemorse

abcemorse Prolific Poster

I got my 10# tank at a local fire extinguisher shop for $80 filled, costs about $25 to refill it.

6. captain_bu

captain_bu Prolific Poster

Fire extinguisher shop for me, $55 for a re-conditioned 10lb tank, $11 for refills...

7. jmacego

jmacego Junior Poster

Shop around, home brew shops, fire extinguisher shops, I use a welding shop. Google and the phone book are both helpful.

It's $65 for a 5lb tank and $12 for swaps. No one I could find would do a 10lb tank. 20lb for $100 and still $12 for swap. To give an idea of my area.

8. Signus

Signus Prolific Poster

9. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

That middle one is a Milwaukee regulator, as best I can see, and that is very marginal for our uses. I have used mine for about 3 years, and have only grown to hate it more with every passing month. I am now making a replacement from an industrial quality regulator I found on Ebay. Assembling a CO2 regulator

10. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Nice! I'm seriously considering talking to the guys over at Sumo regulators again and seeing about swapping in/out some parts. If I do that I'm thinking the Milwaukee reg and controller I've got is heading over to ebay or similar. Nice to see money wasted. *sigh* Car repairs may take precedence. Stupid icy weather made the car decide to spin off the road yesterday....

11. brainstormer

brainstormer Junior Poster

New 10 lb aluminum tank for 69.99 from AquariumPlants.com.

12. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

I managed to hit the local welding shop. Disposable & Refillable Calibration Gases, Enviro-Cyl & One Timer Cylinders, Rare Gases, Specialty Gas Equipment, Industrial & Medical Gas, Purity Plus & Hydrogen Gas Technologies Not the best prices. 84$ incl. tax for filled 5lb tank ( used ). 12$ for swapouts. OTOH, the fire extinguisher place didn't exactly have much better and their refills were in the 20-30$ range. LFS was 20$ for a swap on the 5lb and 40$ for the 10lb and that was with buying a new tank from them. Just really miserable prices up in the Boston area I guess. If I need to swap up to a 10lb tank he'll just charge me the difference in tanks.

-
    S