co2 saturation

dazzer1975

Prolific Poster
Apr 22, 2006
Rochdale, sadly
I got my pressurised system and have recorded a kh of 4.5 degrees hardness, ph of 6.8 which gives me a co2 level of 21 ppm. This is taken just before the lights go out after 12 hours being on, the lighting level is 130 watts over 40 uk gallons.

I was wondering though, if there is an upper co2 level that the water simply cannot take in any more co2 or wether, if you could set up a reactor while pumping in enough co2 would the levels just keep on rising and rising?

quenton

Guru Class Expert
Mar 14, 2006
Toronto Ontario (Canada?)
Re: co2 saturation

dazzer1975 said:
I got my pressurised system and have recorded a kh of 4.5 degrees hardness, ph of 6.8 which gives me a co2 level of 21 ppm. This is taken just before the lights go out after 12 hours being on, the lighting level is 130 watts over 40 uk gallons.

I was wondering though, if there is an upper co2 level that the water simply cannot take in any more co2 or wether, if you could set up a reactor while pumping in enough co2 would the levels just keep on rising and rising?

At some point your fish would all die. I suspect you might run into a limit based on whatever diffusion system you are using -- but certainly there has to be a limit at which the water would not hold any more.

On the topic of your 21ppm -- if I believed my pH and kh values, I would have
about 60ppm CO2 and my fish would all be dead. I then did a pH - pH test and came up with lots less than 30ppm.

I would try that and see what you get -- do a pH test of the tank water, then take a quart of the tank water and let sit out for 24h and measure that. For about 30ppm CO2 you would expect about a 1.0 diff in the pH values. I don't know the exact formula -- it might be on this site somewhere, not sure, but the recommendation I believe is between 1.0 and 1.1 difference.

dazzer1975

Prolific Poster
Apr 22, 2006
Rochdale, sadly

Cheers Quenton,

Before I introduced the co2 system I had a p.h of 6.8 and a kh of 30 - 40 ppm which equates to roughly 2 degrees hardness, I increased the hardness using bicarbonate of soda and now have a kh of 80ppm which equates to 4.5 degrees of carbonate hardness and my p.h. is still 6.8 after the introduction of co2. I used this calculator http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/calKH.asp to determine how much bicarbonate of soda to use which states that I would have seen a 0.69 - 0.98 p.h. increase after the addition of the bicarbonate of soda.

I have yet to do a degassed ph test but I will take some water out now to test tomorrow,

Thanks a lot quenton,

Much appreciated

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yes, the KH is playing with you, I'd niot mess with the KH, add enough CO2 to knock the pH to about 5.8-6.0 range, observe plants and fish, you can still add baking soda if you want to raise the pH and KH up to say 6.4 and 4 etc or close to that. The KH seems to be off by about .2-.4 degrees.

Regards,
Tom Barr