This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

co2 saturation

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by dazzer1975, May 10, 2006.

1. dazzer1975

dazzer1975 Prolific Poster

I got my pressurised system and have recorded a kh of 4.5 degrees hardness, ph of 6.8 which gives me a co2 level of 21 ppm. This is taken just before the lights go out after 12 hours being on, the lighting level is 130 watts over 40 uk gallons.

I was wondering though, if there is an upper co2 level that the water simply cannot take in any more co2 or wether, if you could set up a reactor while pumping in enough co2 would the levels just keep on rising and rising?

2. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

Re: co2 saturation

At some point your fish would all die. I suspect you might run into a limit based on whatever diffusion system you are using -- but certainly there has to be a limit at which the water would not hold any more.

On the topic of your 21ppm -- if I believed my pH and kh values, I would have
    about 60ppm CO2 and my fish would all be dead. I then did a pH - pH test and came up with lots less than 30ppm.

I would try that and see what you get -- do a pH test of the tank water, then take a quart of the tank water and let sit out for 24h and measure that. For about 30ppm CO2 you would expect about a 1.0 diff in the pH values. I don't know the exact formula -- it might be on this site somewhere, not sure, but the recommendation I believe is between 1.0 and 1.1 difference.

3. dazzer1975

dazzer1975 Prolific Poster

Cheers Quenton,

Before I introduced the co2 system I had a p.h of 6.8 and a kh of 30 - 40 ppm which equates to roughly 2 degrees hardness, I increased the hardness using bicarbonate of soda and now have a kh of 80ppm which equates to 4.5 degrees of carbonate hardness and my p.h. is still 6.8 after the introduction of co2. I used this calculator http://www.dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/calKH.asp to determine how much bicarbonate of soda to use which states that I would have seen a 0.69 - 0.98 p.h. increase after the addition of the bicarbonate of soda.

I have yet to do a degassed ph test but I will take some water out now to test tomorrow,

Thanks a lot quenton,

Much appreciated

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Yes, the KH is playing with you, I'd niot mess with the KH, add enough CO2 to knock the pH to about 5.8-6.0 range, observe plants and fish, you can still add baking soda if you want to raise the pH and KH up to say 6.4 and 4 etc or close to that. The KH seems to be off by about .2-.4 degrees.

Regards,
    Tom Barr