This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Retention with A Sump

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by jonathan11, Apr 19, 2009.

1. jonathan11

jonathan11 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:24 PM
    I wish to use a 55 gallon aquarium as a sump for my tank. My biggest concern is how to provide a seal to prevent CO2 leakage at the joint. I can work the drain/return lines well enough, but how could the seal be made, without using silicone, or the ole reliable duct tape? It seems, to my mind, that I'm trying to create a 55 gallon canister filter! All comments appreciated! Thx in advance. :D :D :D

Walter

2. intermediate_noob

intermediate_noob Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:24 PM
    I use the Glad Press and Seal on my sumps and on the tops of my tanks to seal them. Here is the link: GLAD Press'n Seal® Wrap

I started to use it because of water evaporation during the winter (really dry in the Southwest) and it works great. You can tear or double up over the strange bumps (like return lines), and it is pretty forgiving with taking off and sticking it back to the sump.

You do have to replace it every so often, but a large roll has lasted me well over 6 months with sealing 5 tanks and two sumps. Hope this helps! :)