Co2 regulator with multiple outlets build

Aug 18, 2010
Hi, I have now an Aquatek Co2 regulator with six outlets but I have to say that I'm not happy at all with this product. First of all, the working pressure can't be adjusted, wich means that every time you open or close any of the outlets, the output on the others changes dramatically; for me, that's a big deal. I need to make adjustments almost daily and I can't be able to have constant Co2 levels on any of my tanks. Many fish have suffered this and ended up dead. I need advise on building a very high quality regulator, I've read here that rex or Sumo is one of the best choices but do they offer options for more than one outlets? I need six at least, and I need each to be very accurate. Tom says that this is one of the things in what you should invest more money, I'm paying the price for going cheap at first; so I agree with him. Can you help me? Thanks a lot, have a nice day.

Aug 18, 2010
Thanks, something like that is what I need. My setup actually has needle valves on each outlet, but, as I said before, they're not as accurate as I expected and as output pressure changes, flow does also. Would you recomend me a good quality two stage regulator and needle valves? You're right, I checked the Sumo's page but it doesn't appear to be working, Rex's neither. I really appreciate your help, It's a lot of money for me so I have to do it right. Thanks again.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi, there are multiple threads/stickies on this very c02 forum that will guide you step by step. Left C, Matt, and others have documented many things including multiple builds.

You should do some more research first and then come back with more specific questions if you have any. There are many viable regulators that are available.

Your questions have been asked and answered many many times so far. May take a bit of reading but there are one or two threads that tell you all you need to know.

thegasman

Subscriber
Aug 25, 2012
Anthem, AZ
oldpunk;113732 said:
You could build something similar for 1/2 that price or less.

+1 and most likely better quality. I'm not saying that the GLA built reg. is bad, but you could build one darn fine regulator for that price or less.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
I built a brand new setup using much higher quality components (IMO) for the same price.

Not knocking it, but IMO/IME you could build a very good unit for much less.

The trade forums here have many nice units available. Or someone can build you one for less per your specs...

Aug 18, 2010
Ok, thanks for your help. I'm searching for the separate components so I can post the configuration and submit it to your opinion. As far as I've read and according to your knowledge, the critical components are the dual stage regulator (In order to keep the pressure constant no matter how filled the Co2 tank is) and the needle valves am I correct? I mean, can I reuse the mainfold that came with the aquatek and the solenoid, or you think that it's better to change them. Regards.

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
look at post #1 for examples:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...regulator-part-numbers-sources-and-other-tips!

Not saying you have to do it my way, but it, at least, can give you an idea of what is involved.

camilocastroalvarado;113772 said:
Ok, thanks for your help. I'm searching for the separate components so I can post the configuration and submit it to your opinion. As far as I've read and according to your knowledge, the critical components are the dual stage regulator (In order to keep the pressure constant no matter how filled the Co2 tank is) and the needle valves am I correct? I mean, can I reuse the mainfold that came with the aquatek and the solenoid, or you think that it's better to change them. Regards.

Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for your answers. I'm sorry for my delayed answer, I've been very bussy these days. I already sent a message to a couple of members and I hope they can build one for me. In case they can't, I'm thinking in a setup as follows:
A dual stage regulator vts253a-1993, I have the dude if this is the same because they don't offer any more information about it:
http://www.nuaire.com/products/acce...arts-accessories/co2-regulator-two-stage.html
I'm planning to assembly it like Matt suggests at http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...regulator-part-numbers-sources-and-other-tips!
but I need this reg to have at least 6 outlets. Will it be correct if I add another pipe fitting after the solenoid in order to put a splitter like this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338187531&icep_item=130881454861 ? Do you know where to buy a stainless steel one without the valves?
I plan Needle valves to be Fabco NV-55-18. Matt says that JBJ bubble counters check valves aren't that good, but isn't that the purpose of having the male threaded check valve that he suggests on his guide?

Thanks for your help.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
camilocastroalvarado;113772 said:

Hi, the reg and NV are two VITAL components, but why go quality here and not the rest?

A good solenoid and check values are also a must. The only other parts left are the so-called post body parts used to connect all the components.

I would investigate Swagelok and other fine mfg for these brass and steel parts.

When you figure the total cost, good connections are not that much more.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I am glad you are working with Matt. He did a great job (10 or 10) on my build. Has worked flawlessly now for 2 years + iirc. We used the victor 1993 you linked to above for my build. I then cloned it.

Will follow the new thread with great interest.

Last edited by a moderator: