Co2 Regulator Settings And Working Pressure

Blake

Oct 18, 2020
USA
New to the CO2 world here and looking for some information on regulator settings. Sorry if some of these questions have already been asked and answered on here, but I wasn't able to find answers to my specific questions.

1.) Aside from blowing up my tubing and bubble counter, is there a purpose to setting a specific working pressure. From what ive gathered, you want working pressure around 10-40psi, but is there a reason one would set it at 20psi vs 30psi?

2.)Is there a way to estimate how much CO2 my tank will require? Ive read people doing anywhere from 10 bubbles per second to 1 bubble every 5 seconds. Any good starting points recommended? I have a drop checker set up, but just kind of looking for some pearls of wisdom from those more experienced with the nuances that come with CO2.

Any other advice is appreciated. Looking forward to exploring this part of the hobby!

daveg

Dec 16, 2020
seattle
Hey there,
Also not an expert, but I've been doing co2 for a couple years. Regarding (1), for my set up, I find the needle valve does very little in terms of controlling the quantity of co2 coming out of the diffuser. So it's up to adjusting the working pressure. Also, depending on the type of diffuser (glass vs plastic vs ?) the required pressure can be quite different. For my plastic housed diffuser (forget the brand..) it said it needed 40-50 psi. And you'll see a big(!) difference in this range.
Regarding (2), every setup is it's own thing. Start slow... way below what you need... and slowly ramp up. Drop checkers are very slow (in hours). It also depends on the size of the bubble! my bubble counter makes huge bubbles. So 3 bubbles / second for me would be different for you. Hope that helps!