This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 regulator seal

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by scottward, May 4, 2010.

1. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:34 PM
    Does anybody know if the CO2 washer (i.e. the seal between the regulator and CO2 bottle) is a standard sized washer or a regulator brand specific washer?

2. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    It should be a standard size. You do have to get a regulator seal as far as I know, not just any washer, but they should be pretty standard.

Lets see if left c has something to add. He knows more about regulators than I do.

3. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Why are you asking this question?

4. scottward

Local Time:
    I have a Red Sea regulator and asked Red Sea how much a new seal will cost. They are about $3.50 AUD for a Red Sea one, but I notice that home brew shops also sell CO2 regulator seals for less than $1.

Will any seal fit?

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Go to any Gas cylinder refill place, they typically will give some for free.
    Ask when you get the tank refilled, they have to be standard sizes, otherwise you'd have to use their special gas tanks and regs, and it would very hard to find someone to refill their special CO2 tanks:p.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. herns

herns Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    In my place, they usually attached a label of a fully refilled tank with a free co2 washer attached to it.

When I bought my empty tank they gave me few washers for free.

7. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Somebody once told me that you are supposed to change the seal at every refill. I was never sure if it was true or not.

8. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    They usually provide it, but if not they're cheap enough to replace each time. I suppose you could flip it over for the next use to try and even things out a bit...

-
    S

9. scottward

Local Time:
    I found a 'CO2 washer' on a website with the inner/outer diameter, outer diameter was about 19mm, inned diameter (i.e. diameter of the central hole) was only about 5-6mm. The inner diameter of my CO2 seal is 10mm. Is it possible that Red Sea have made their regulators so that only one of their CO2 seals will fit? ;-)

10. ibnozn

ibnozn Member

Local Time:
    I have the same problem with my Tunze regulator. Standard replacement washers don't fit it for the same reason you seem to be talking about. I just use a rubber washer instead. Found it at Ace Hardware I think and I doubt it's meant for CO2. But it fits—and it works. :)

11. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As long as you replace it with the tank you should be fine. If it's not meant for CO2 then over time it could degrade and break down and cause leaks. If you replace it each time you should be OK.

-
    S

12. scottward

Local Time:
    I ended up buying a packet of 4 genuine Red Sea seals. They weren't as cheap as what I could have got from a home brew shop but at least they fit.