This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Reactor, Hypothetically Speaking.

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Tug, May 28, 2010.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    11:56 AM
    I am using a Duetto multi filter about an inch below the surface and it creates a small whirlpool mixing air into the water flow. The result is a constant misting. Could this be increasing the levels of CO2 or have I added a bubbler inadvertently? I am thinking of making a DIY internal reactor based on this idea. A sort of surface skimmer with injected CO2.

It would be 1 inch diameter glass tube, 15" total length, folded twice to give it a smaller foot print. The pump will be under the tank. So, one 3/4" line running to the pump and another one or two lines running back to the tank. Any thoughts?

2. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Can you put up a drawing? It's not clear what you are describing.

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I need to look into doing this with plastic. I would need to find a way to bend the tube. Otherwise I was thinking of asking a glass blower what they would charge. The glass would be cool, but the plastic might make for a cheap prototype. A sponge filter would go on one end and a 3/4" hose fitting on the other. The CO2 would come in some were along the way to allow it to be used as a bubble counter. The pump would need to be hefty, about 6' of head pressure would be needed I would think.

DSCF0189.jpg

4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I know you're keeping it hypothetical, but I think the only practical/cheap way to test each design's effectiveness (minus long periods watching the plants) is with a drop checker (or two) and seeing which makes it more yellow. You could then change the drop checker's calibration solution to ball park CO2 levels if wanted.