CO2 reactor DIY

B

Brian20

I saw a lot of people using CO2 reactor so I like to use it too. I currently have a Ceramic CO2 diffusor and its works fine but I have a lots of tiny bubbles created by the diffusor and plants around the tank and I dont like it. Im thinking to make a reactor by myself. Please any tips are welcome. I will do a copy of the famous AM 1000:p but if there are improvement that I can do, I want to do it:D .

I want to put it in the outflow of the DIY filter that I have. The filter have a pump of 405 GPH.

Brian

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
CO2 reactor Sticky Thread.

Take a look at the CO2 reactor sticky thread. You'll find lots of good info in there.

-
S

Brian20;40565 said:
I saw a lot of people using CO2 reactor so I like to use it too. I currently have a Ceramic CO2 diffusor and its works fine but I have a lots of tiny bubbles created by the diffusor and plants around the tank and I dont like it. Im thinking to make a reactor by myself. Please any tips are welcome. I will do a copy of the famous AM 1000:p but if there are improvement that I can do, I want to do it:D .

I want to put it in the outflow of the DIY filter that I have. The filter have a pump of 405 GPH.

Brian

B

Brian20

Ok, I saw it.

Well, I want to make mine like this but a little different. I not will use a pump, only the filteroutflow, Still looking for ideas, I dont want something simple, I want challenges, Maybe a mix of systems. Ideas? If anyopne knows how I can make a venturi (i know how it works but dont know how to make one) and how work needle wheel.

Brian

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Concept is the Same

Hi Brian,

Any of the reactors, internal or external, the concept is the same. What you apparently want to do is essentially, what I do in a number of my tanks both diy and pressurized CO2 systems.

I run an internal pump or a loop off a canister filter’s (or any external filter’s) return, take the water in from one end and run output to the input of the reactor. The reactor can then run into a needle-wheel or some variation on the powerhead theme, if you wish. ;)

I have seen a set up that runs the output of the reactor is routed into a needle-wheel and the lady captures residual bubbles in a long, I guess ‘dome’ looks to be a two inch diameter poly tube cut lengthwise capped on the ends. The possibilities really are endless. Just make sure any counter flow occurs in the plumbing, so the flow is in the aquarium is ‘downhill’.

With pressurized systems waste an inefficiencies can be overcome with the application of more CO2, diy systems require a little cunning and a “waste not, want not” attitude. :)

Do-it-yourself CO2 systems are not for sissies, after all.:D

Biollante

B

Brian20

Biollante;40575 said:
Hi Brian,

Any of the reactors, internal or external, the concept is the same. What you apparently want to do is essentially, what I do in a number of my tanks both diy and pressurized CO2 systems.

I run an internal pump or a loop off a canister filter’s (or any external filter’s) return, take the water in from one end and run output to the input of the reactor. The reactor can then run into a or some variation on the powerhead theme, if you wish. ;)

I have seen a set up that runs the output of the reactor is routed into a needle-wheel and the lady captures residual bubbles in a long, I guess ‘dome’ looks to be a two inch diameter poly tube cut lengthwise capped on the ends. The possibilities really are endless. Just make sure any counter flow occurs in the plumbing, so the flow is in the aquarium is ‘downhill’.

With pressurized systems waste an inefficiencies can be overcome with the application of more CO2, diy systems require a little cunning and a “waste not, want not” attitude. :)

Do-it-yourself CO2 systems are not for sissies, after all.:D

Biollante

Well, I want exactly that, i make a rough draft of the DIY reactor watching Tom Barr and AM 1000, Maybe I make it rigid PVC so I cant see whats hppening inside. Because in Home Depot not sells clear pvc.

Where I can find the valve for take out remanent gas?

where i can buy a needle-wheel?

Brian

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Brian, definitely go for clear PVC so that you can see what's happening inside. I think it's good to be able to see if there is gas building up inside the reactor etc.

Scott.

B

Brian20

well, I cant use a needle wheel because it need a pump to work and I dont want to spend more money.

Im going by the metod of the AM 1000 and im wondering if I can create a venturi with only outflow. Where I can get the remanent reactor valve?

B

Brian20

Well I make the Reactor, (sorry I not found the clear PVC, so its normal rigid pvc).
It have about 20 min. working at 1-1.5bps and all are ok. Still I need to make hte tom barr venturi. Im thinking to attach it to the water flow line because i dont want to mess with the filter.

I make a mistake that I cant fix it. I dot put the CO2 tube inside the reactor, the CO2 goes in the top of the reactor instead n the bottom, I will geat a problem with this?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Drill a Hole

Brian20;40668 said:
Well I make the Reactor, (sorry I not found the clear PVC, so its normal rigid pvc).
It have about 20 min. working at 1-1.5bps and all are ok. Still I need to make hte tom barr venturi. Im thinking to attach it to the water flow line because i dont want to mess with the filter.

I make a mistake that I cant fix it. I dot put the CO2 tube inside the reactor, the CO2 goes in the top of the reactor instead n the bottom, I will geat a problem with this?

Yes, but if I understand correctly, I think all you need do is drill the hole and insert tube.

How are you 'powering' the reactor if not with a pump or a loop, or for that matter just run the filter output through the reactor?

Biollante

B

Brian20

The filter outflow run through the reactor.

I take it out because it have a leak, Im trying to solve this problem, not a big issue. Im going to make now the venturi but I dont know if I can put it on the reactor and the other side on the outflow to work or only it work in the pump?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not Sure

Brian20;40673 said:
The filter outflow run through the reactor.

I take it out because it have a leak, Im trying to solve this problem, not a big issue. Im going to make now the venturi but I dont know if I can put it on the reactor and the other side on the outflow to work or only it work in the pump?

Hi Brian,

I may not be understanding this correctly.:eek:

The reactor should work on either side it only requires water to flow, preferably against the CO2 flow.

If this isn't making sense, now might be a good time to use Spanish.;)

Biollante

[QUOTE = Brian20; 40673] La salida del filtro de ejecución a través del reactor.

Me lo saco, ya que tiene una fuga, Im tratando de resolver este problema, no un gran problema. Im que va a hacer ahora el venturi pero no sé si puedo ponerlo en el reactor y el otro lado de la salida a trabajar o solamente funciona en la bomba? [/ QUOTE]

Hi Brian,

No se puede comprender esto correctamente.:eek:

El reactor debe trabajar en cualquier lado que sólo requiere que el agua fluya, de preferencia en contra del flujo de CO2.

Si esto no es creación de sentido, ahora podría ser un buen momento para utilizar el español.;)

Biollante

B

Brian20

I will use google translate

The problem is that no com put the venturi, the venturi but I did not know if it works. Place one end of the sleeve of CO2 where does the water filter and the other end I put in the reactor where gas accumulates, about 3 inches down. As I said, I will not use bombs, but I believe the venturi deve alla lways work flow. I have not yet been tested either because they have a leak.

Fixing the translation

The problem is that I dont know how to put the venturi to make it works, howsoever I make the venturi but I did not know if it works. Place one end of the sleeve of CO2 where does the water flow from filter and the other end I put in the reactor where gas accumulates, (about 3 inches down). As I said, I will not use bombs, but I believe the venturi always work when there are flow. I have not yet been tested because it have a leak.

Brian

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
See If It Works

Hi Brian,

Okay I guess I did understand, after you fix the leak let us know how well it works.:)

Biollante

B

Brian20

Well I repair the leak today (went to home depot and buy almost the half of the reactor)

I was working on it and made a few changes. Now it not have the venturi nor valve. I will run it all the day until it going to make remanent gases.

I want to make a venturi without pump but I dont know how.
I will try to take a pic.

Brian

B

Brian20

I "power" it with the outflow of the canister filter.

So far is working. Tommorow I will take a pic

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
That is A pump

Brian20;40758 said:
I "power" it with the outflow of the canister filter.

So far is working. Tommorow I will take a pic

That is a pump:D

Look forward to the pictures.:)

Biollante

B

Brian20

Here a vid.

Still in the vid the reactor not is well presented, I will take a pic.
Today run on 3 bps and all CO2 disolved.:)

vid: