This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Co2 Rate/ph Drop Noob Question

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Mark Baer, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Mark Baer

Mark Baer New Member

Local Time:
    6:46 AM
    Hey all, noob question. New tank, 1st time on pressurized CO2. I am getting the 1.5pH drop that I am aiming for, but it takes about 6 hrs. I was under the impression that you want this drop to occur 1hr prior to lights going on, but how would the CO2 levels not rise further and drop the pH further as the day progresses? I am currently on 3 bubbles per second in a 40L tank. KH is 6dKH. Temp 24ish. pH is being continually monitored by Seneye device. Further increasing the bubble rate makes fish head for the surface. Cheers.

2. Mark Baer

Mark Baer New Member

Local Time:
    6:46 AM
  3. CarissaT

CarissaT New Member

Local Time:
    6:16 PM
    How long does it take for a 1 pH drop? That may be all you need. Co2 levels should not continue to rise once lights are on unless it's too high (e.g. higher than your plants can use and than it off gasses). Think maybe your diffuser isn't functioning well if it takes that long, think usually it only takes about an hour.

4. snarkingturtle

Local Time:
    4:46 PM
    I'm still waiting to start my first CO2 injected tank but I have second-hand advice in addition to what CarissaT said. There are two CO2 properties of a tank system that are relevant: the accumulation rate and the equilibrium concentration. The equilibrium concentration is an outcome of the balance of the injection rate and the rate of loss. You can adjust both of these, not just the first. The rate of loss is determined by the opportunity for gas exchange which is determined by the surface area to volume ratio, the amount of surface agitation, and the air flow around the surface (whether you have a lid or not). The accumulation rate is more affected by the injection rate. When you turn up the CO2 you increase the accumulation rate a lot and the equilibrium concentration a little bit. When you increase the rate of loss you lower the accumulation rate a little and the equilibrium concentration a lot. In order to quickly approach the equilibrium, and have that equilibrium not be too high, you need to turn up your injection rate and increase CO2 loss. You can increase loss by increasing surface agitation and turnover by adding a skimmer (if you don't already have one) and increasing flow at the surface by adjusting the filter outflow and possibly also increasing the filtration rate.

I've seen this advice in a few places but most well explained by Dennis Wong in two videos and

CarissaT likes this.
  5. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    9:46 PM
    Yea, you want your PH drop to be early on and stable thru the day.
    1.2 ph drop is more than enough.

And yes. You need to manage the flux rate properly because that’s where you will find stability in CO2 injection.

Tags: