CO2 question

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hi

I have a doubt about non CO2 tanks.
If we have a tank that we not use any kind of CO2 why we can not make too much WCs ?
The WCs will not increase the CO2 levels in the tank?
I now that the floating of CO2 can help algae to appear but if i have low light that shouldn't´t be a problem ! or it can be a problem really ? My assumption is if the co2 level in the water increase with a WC that wouldn't´t generate algae.

What is wrong ?

Regards

Ismenio

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
When we change water on a non CO2 tank, we "spoil" the plants temporarily with CO2. Normally they have to do without. The plant's biology will be set to uptake this gaseous CO2, because it's easier for them. They don't get this CO2 all the time, so growth is not optimal. The consequence is bad plant growth which induces algae. Algae is never limited and can adapt much easier.

If we don't do water changes, plants have to take their C-source from the KH, which is more effort for the plant, but they can do well. They keep growing well and we have no algae.

That's about it I think, of course anyone feel free to correct.

regards,
dutchy

Last edited by a moderator:

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Nice

Thanks Dutchy, its logical but.....

With the water change we increase the co2 that algae are not depend and increase too the kh that the plants are waiting for, the plants should still growing like before the water change, well the kh and the co2 uppers a little but this is enough too generate algae?
Well the light is low and the traces of ammonia that always exists should drop with the WC, i don´t see a reason to have algae sincerely.

But thanks anyway Dutchy, you probably have reason but i don´t understand why.

Regards

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks Dutchy

With a little increase the algae can take advantage, well i assume this is right, without algae we aren´t here certainly since they were the first generating oxygen to the atmosphere.

"Algae tend to be better at it and have a faster response time and much shorter life cycle. When we add the CO2 at higher levels, this causes the plants and algae to destroy the low CO2 enzymes and start growing without of them since they no longer need them to fix CO2 form the KH ( the -HCO3).
Why keep all this machinery around if you no longer need it? Doing weekly water changes "fools" the plants and helps encourage algae more. Algae are faster to respond to low CO2 than plants.
Once the plants do adapt, they can do well. Plants want stable CO2 and nutrients to do best. "

The better is probably only maintain the level of water of the tank and never make a water change.

Thanks Dutchy