This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Proof Tubing (will the pressure stand up?)

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by cdaJiv, Dec 16, 2017.

1. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    12:42 AM
    I had to go out and buy a Fluval 45g CO2 Kit the other day for emergency purposes this week, I also recently purchased a Milwaukee Inline CO2 Solenoid.

Fluval Pressurized CO2 Kit, 45 grams
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RHS1BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A1EnAb6YWR699
    53318b51ae4f92a0132325459e56ebaa.jpg

Milwaukee In-line CO2 Solenoid
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2DVD2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jzEnAb54FRE40
    0cb9c8518cb7151650aace3c187fe65d.jpg

The Fluval 88g “Regulator” isnt much of a regulator imo more of a open/close valve, on the dial it says the CO2 canister sits at 850 psi when it is full and newly installed.
    cfc613b4cb3eb435b2b7789e26054db8.jpg

My question is if I use AQUATEK CO2 Proof Tubing will it hold up to the pressure of the canister while the solenoid is turned off and it is in the closed position?

I understand if I was to use the solenoid with this setup it would put all the pressure on the tubing between the valve and the solenoid and I am hesitant to try this without asking around and hearing people’s input on the situation.

Ive read that mechanics/hospitals use the same grade tubing as our hobbies CO2 Proof Tubing and that they run way higher pressures than what we usually run but normally when we run CO2 to our tanks we usually stay between 10-50 psi (I would assume for most and this is what I read in a few posts so I am not speaking from personal knowledge).

I do have a full co2 system setup for another one of my tanks, I also recently purchased a GLA 2 Stage system with 2 manifolds which I will be using on this tank by the end of the month. I can’t use it at the moment though because even though I bought it I agreed to wrap it up and put it under the Christmas tree so I’m stuck using this Fluval CO2 kit for another week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:42 AM
    Here is the flaw I see, not the issue of tubing. Or the iPhone!
    Cut the bottom of the package open, remove, add a rock or two and tape it back up.:D

What is the working pressure after the regulator?
    Tubing is not rated for 850PSI.

3. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    Already did that to get the Milwaukee Inline Solenoid that I purchased early, I hope the family doesn’t read the forums lol...

How would I find out what the working pressure after the regulator, that means not what the pressure of the inside the canister is but the pressure of the CO2 I am releasing into the tank is correct?

And if the solenoid was to turn off wouldn’t the pressure build up to whatever the pressure was inside the canister?

4. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have never seen such a regulator, does the nut on top adjust anything?

Is it a fixed output, non adjustable?

Read the box cause their website is zero informative.

#4 Phishless, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    I don’t know if you can read these but it litterateur all of the information given (basically nothing).

e8a2c5ec72c59e5cb3d6e96cdcbc276f.jpg
    77b19e1906cf119dadfa9c76763409ce.jpg

The “regulator” punctures the seal on the cartridge when it is screwed onto the CO2 bottle, when that happens the dial immediately indicates that the pressure is 850 psi in the bottle.

c48c9cd0815e0ec9eb9fcb1723b70b17.jpg

The knob on top of the regulator adjusts how much of the CO2 is dispersed into the line, if I was to turn it all the way counter-clockwise and open it completely, the entire canister would empty in a matter of seconds. Other than that there is no way to further adjust any of the pressure or what is released into the tank.

This is the main reason that I want to put the solenoid on the line because the adjustment knob is IMPOSSIBLE to adjust to the same amount from day to day. I literally don’t turn the knob any noticeable amount to raise and lower the amount of CO2 that goes into my tank, I swear I would breath on this thing to adjust it with more accuracy.

It takes me almost 30-45 minutes to get this thing set to the BPS that I need, I wish I could just set it to what I need and have it go on and off with a timer.

I am right now still trying to get the correct BPS for today and tonight I will have to turn the knob on top to close it off and I’ll have to start all over tomorrow morning. This is by far THE WORST Fluval product I’ve bought to date, no other product by any brand honestly comes close to the failure of this one. I’m definitely getting my money back after Christmas.

6. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    It maybe a simple regulator, but it is still regulating the output pressure. I am not sure what the output pressure is set to but it is definitely not 850 psi.

If I'm not mistaken it is sold as a kit, tank, tubing, counter and diffuse. With that said, I'm sure everything was designed to work together.

7. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    Yes it was sold together but I am only trying to find out if Aquatek CO2 Proof Tubing will hold the pressure that would build up from a solenoid stoping the line.

This is why I said the canister is 850 psi...
    3e9746191985447c1dcd40a3567bb835.jpg

8. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    Will this work…?
    4177c0fc66726d3e1f450de7c8440373.jpg 9d3e706c195068f819fbaed79e254b5a.jpg
    …I mean I know it will work, assuming all the threads are tightly sealed, It’s two 1/8” FIP & one 1/8” MIP x 3” brass connectors.

I just want to know if I can go to bed tonight and not worry about it punching a hole in my tank or ruining my Solenoid.

bd10e5f34af82fd6c24df7f10a407284.jpg

The direction the solenoid is set up makes it impossible to attach it directly without the extension piece but I’m going to get a 1” instead I just picked these out at the store when I had no measurements in hand.

I’m hesitant to plug it in and open it up seeing how these canisters are nearly $15… think I’ll wait until I hear back, hopefully I hear back lol.

9. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks like a much better arrangement.:)

10. cdaJiv

cdaJiv Member

Local Time:
    Great, I will give it a shot today when I get home from work, by the end of the week I will post my results for anyone that might need to do the same thing.

11. DeepMetropolis

Local Time:
    7:42 AM
    You can test it with a soap solution if there are leaks..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

12. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    My understanding is the knob on top of the regulator is the out flow control. Basically you use it to control the BPS?