This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Pressure Regulator Theory of Operation

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Jim Miller, Mar 9, 2011.

1. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    10:53 PM
    Hi Jim, all,

I'm very interest in this topic because even after hunting cheap components on Ebay as Matt suggest, a quality regulator will be very expensive for someone like me living and earning money in the tropics (after currency exchanges, shipping, tax, etc).

I look forward to what you find.

Cheers,

Juan

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    No One Would Want Me To Speak For Them

Hi Matt,

Indeed I speak only for myself, my views are entirely my own and I believe quite supportable. :eek:

In the event I was not clear, lacking a coherent central nervous system, sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself. :eek:

Reference to your (1 in post #39.

1. Yes, without the ability to replicate a design or test, the design, test, whatever is essentially meaningless.
    2. In the process of replication questions and deficiencies in the process can be analyzed.
    3. Obviously the limitation and/or identification of variables are necessary.
    4. In Jim’s coherent descriptions allow for this and he seems to do an excellent job.
    5. As to “ball parking” that was intended as an a general comment, sometimes when dealing with complex system as a starting point we need to find something close enough to measure, though it is understood that may need to be narrowed down and studied further.
    6. Any analysis that has no statistical outliers would be suspect, certainly, or occasional in the outliers or anomalies we find the next place to look.
    7. Limiting variables is good, no argument, I would add understanding the variables that exist and in some complex systems we need to look at multiple variables.(see 3 above)
    8. Common sense, okay.:cool:
    9. Enough time seeing the anointed offended.:rolleyes:

Biollante

3. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pompous You Say

Hi Matt,

Reference (2 post #39.
    1. I use and have used medical/lab grade devices for some time, I do not see that as “out-of-the-box” thinking, it was really a concession on my part that the idea of finding a simple, elegant solution was out of the range of my meager mental capacity.
    2. I disagree with your opinion on the willingness of The Barr Report community to accept new ideas. I do agree that compared to most of the planted tank community The Barr Report folks are ahead of the learning curve, but that remains only my opinion.

Reference Epilogue, post #39.

1. Legitimate criticism is always valid.:gw
    2. A person’s background may leave them able to spot a problem or logical flaw and not know how to fix the flaw.;)
    3. In my ever humble-potted-plant-opinion it is pompous to believe only those that have all of the answers can join the conversation, one of the ways it is easy to spot the anointed.:rolleyes:
    Biollante

4. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My Skewed View of Life

Hi Matt,

My view:

• The idea that it seems there should be an easier less expensive way that does not require me to be knowledgeable or coordinated or has the time to build a system, does not seem unreasonable. It may turn out that it is unreasonable, that there is a technological hurtle that cannot reasonably be overcome, but I do not know that to be the case.

Twenty-five or so years ago I bought a rather expensive system that promised an easy straightforward single stage solution to putting CO2 into, well, solution.:rolleyes: The system was a piece of crap,:mad: maybe that is as good as the single stage system can be, I just do not think so, but I have been wrong before and will likely be again. :eek:

I believe Jim writes clearly and coherently, his objectives were clearly stated and I believe well supported.

I have enjoyed your threads on the how too of regulators, I follow them with interest.
    I chose another means to the ends of providing carbon to plants; it doesn’t mean I need to be offended by another method.

• Nor do understand why anyone should be offended that I chose another route.

I am happy to be shown a better way to do things, I read a lot, I communicate as well as my woeful lack of mental ability allows, and I love smart people that are able to figure and calculate and then communicate what they have learned. As I said I have enjoyed your threads…:cool:

Be well,
    Biollante

5. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I am glad you speaking for youself! I'm not offended and haven't been in the least by the thread or the concepts found within. I just had questions as to the particular methodologies Jim will be using to test these regulators and what he was going to test specifically. He does a precise job at explaining this in his last thread (before your "anointed" response j/k). I guess I don't know who you are referring to as being "annointed." Seems a bit strange to use this word w/o a context that I can decipher. maybe you can explain what you mean to us lay folk...lol

So, Two question remains, since we agree on the general idea of the scientific method:

1) who is offended?
    2) who are you referring to as anointed?

I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

#45 Matt F., Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  6. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's good that you have used lab/hospital grade units for a long time. You're that much more ahead of the curve. SHows you have a forward thinking mind since a majority of the planted tank community is stuck using hobby grade regulators and might not know enough to build or even find a DSR or other alternative. I get multiple PMs per day asking me where to get parts and what part numbers will work, etc. I don't mind doing this, but the info is there in the "How-To" threads I've done. I am glad you enjoy them. They are there to help. reading is a good thing. So is the ability to write. :)

I don't think you give this site enough credit, despite donating "lifetime charter membership" dues to it. ;)
    I come here to cut through a majority of the normal BS you see on places like TPT, APC, and others. EI is forward thinking. Heck, Left C is here, so we must be ahead of the curve!

Clarification: In NO way was I implying with my overly generalize comment that only people with answers can join in the conversation. I was pointing out that when we are on the "edge" sometimes there are no real answers. At that point, creative thought is needed (kinda like this thread) to circumvent dead ends. Hence the need for a affordable and new way to deliver CO2 into our tanks. I hope this is clear. Criticism, although a nice tool to point out what is wrong, does not provide the answers to a specific problem. At some point one must say "so what!" to the criticism and do something about it. Provide the tools needed to overcome the problem. Criticism gets old and does little to further thought.

Again, who are you suggesting is "anointed" here?

PS- It takes an intelligent person to articulate things clearly, a patient person to explain things w/o spite to those who don't understand, and a confident person to not have to show others that they are smart.

For isntance, there are some real jerks in academics who love to criticize, judge, and put down.

#46 Matt F., Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011
  7. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I am in no way saying, and I don't know how it can be concluded that I am, that there shouldn't be a more affordable or easier solution to this problem. I have never stated that there shouldn't.

I think Jim writes clearly and coherently, too, but I wanted clarification around certain issues, which were addressed by Jim very well, might I add. I want to know the answers to the questions he poses. His ability was never in questions. The specifics regarding his methods and what he was testing to answer these questions was what I needed clarification on.

I'm glad you have enjoyed my threads. :)

In no way do my threads relate to what has/is transpiring here. AGain, I am not offended by anything having to do with Jim's topic...are you? I don't understand why you keep bringing this up as an issue. Who is offended and who is anointed?

As stated in my previous post (the one to Jim), I am all for it! bring it on!

" I am happy to be shown a better way to do things, I read a lot, I communicate as well as my woeful lack of mental ability allows, and I love smart people that are able to figure and calculate and then communicate what they have learned. As I said I have enjoyed your threads…:cool:"

Me, too. Don't be discriminatory, though...dumb people are nice, too! LoL

Are we all good now?

8. Matt F.

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't understand how we've gotten so off topic. I really don't.
    That said, I'm not going to respond to anything beyond this post unless is has to do with Jim's topic.
    Sorry, Jim for expressing my frustration with my inability to understand where Biollante is comming from.
    Biollante, let's just drop our banter for the sake of this thread...agreed?
    Now, back to: CO2 Pressure Regulator Theory of Operation!
    woot woot.

9. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sorry For The Hijack!

Hi Jim, Matt, All,

Sorry for the hijack...:eek:

Biollante