co2 powerhead problem..

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
I was wondering if anyone here had founda way to combat this issue. I have built the power head outline by tom with a rio180 and a viewtainer. Issue i have is if too much co2 is sent into the viewtainer it clogs the power head to the point that it stops turning and makes a nasty grinding noise. After a while it burps and starts up again, anyone found a fix?

Thanks

Chris

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Obviously, your venturi loop is working well and sucking undissolved CO2 back into the pump -- maybe it's working a little too well! I assume you set the venturi loop inlet down low enough, as was recommended. Also, hopefully your Rio's outlet is pointed down at an angle and you are getting a good downward circulation. If there isn't a good turbulence with a downward flow, I could see the CO2 building up gradually to the venturi loop and then overwhelming it, once it finally got there.

How many bubbles per second of CO2 are you sending into the reactor? These are nice little reactors, but I'm sure they have their limits on how much CO2 they can take in. I can't remember how large your tank is, but if it is very big, you might have to split your CO2 and send it to 2 reactors. Of course, if it comes to that, it might be better just to use a different method than the internal reactor.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
i figured out part of the problem i inserted my co2 about midway up the tube, seems like the venturi is putting a lot a pressure on the inlet and forcing water down into my diy co2 bottles. SO they have to generate a LOT of pressure to overwhelm this and comes out in short massive spurts. What can i do to try and fix the issue? Should i put the inlet lower down? Or into the top above the power head?

Thanks.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Can you post a picture of your reactor? It's a little tough to visualize what you are talking about. With a picture, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

With the internal reactor, the rigid CO2 tube comes in at the top close to a side -- it goes all the way to the bottom of the viewtainer where it bends slightly so the CO2 bubbles come up near the middle. That CO2 bubble should be coming out of the rigid tube right near the bottom of the viewtainer.

What's tough for me to visualize is how the venturi loop can cause any pressure on the CO2 tube? Venturis suck in excess air, they wouldn't cause pressure.