This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 not fully degassing

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by SingAlongWithTsing, Apr 14, 2017.

1. SingAlongWithTsing

SingAlongWithTsing Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:53 PM
    So I recently checked my parameters today after switching from a wet/dry sump to a filter sock set up for a week

dKH 11

dGH 14

tank water 13hrs AFTER co2 turns off 7.5 pH

degassed tank water 8.2 pH in a separate cup

co2 is on for 8hrs (1 pm to 9 pm, cerges reactor 4.5" x 20") pumping at 100ml/min. pH drops to 7-7.2 after 1hr, it's close to 6.6-6.8 pH by 9pm. Lights are on from 2pm to 10pm.

i guess my main question is if i should be worried? the fish dont seem to care about the high amount of co2.

now if i want to save on co2 can i just set the timer to shut off a few hours earlier? or would getting a ph meter be a better idea? how important is it to get a 1 point drop before the lights are on?

#1 SingAlongWithTsing, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  2. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    2:53 AM
    I would continue with static injection and use PH meter only to monitor the readings.

I have set a air pump on timer which starts about 10.00 PM when all other ambient light in my room is off. I keep it on for 3 hours which is generally enough because that is a powerful airpump, your case might be different.

With a wet/dry you O2 levels should already be up and should help degassing. Surface scum build up could be another issue, if so I would add a skimmer.