CO2 Misting

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Re: CO2 Misting

rrguymon said:
Sounds interesting. Do you put a cap on the end of the spray bar on the oppissite side from the pump?
Yes, cap the opposite end of the spray bar, otherwise most of the flow and bubbles will come out that end.

I have found a problem with my transparent spray bar. What looked like diatom algae grew inside, partially plugging the holes, but, worse, partly damming the CO2 bubble flow down the bar. The bubbles began to coalesce into large bubbles and burp out the holes occasionally. That caused my ppm of CO2 to drop and BBA began to grow - fast!

I removed the spray bar completely and now just use the outlet of the powerhead to spray the bubbles down the length of the tank. That seems to work pretty well too. Another problem is plugging of the inlet to the powerhead, gradually reducing the flow from it. One more routine maintenance job to do.

rrguymon

Prolific Poster
Jul 23, 2005
ABQ NM

Ok thanks. I guess I will pass then on the spray bar then. Sounds like high maintenance.

Rick

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

You should be fine with a smaller powerhead blasting along the rea of the tank about midway down so you can see it and get to it easy and directed at a slight decline.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark

rrguymon said:
Ok thanks. I guess I will pass then on the spray bar then. Sounds like high maintenance.

Rick

I made a Co2 mister thing yesterday.... very very very simple

1 powerhead
1 8 cm (or whatever suits you) 16/22 standard hose that fits the powerhead intake.
1 length of Co2 tubing.
1 tip from a ChopStick (idea from NIKO @ plantedtank.net)

drill hole in 16/22 hose, insert Co2 tube in whole, insert chopstick tip(may need some resizing with a knife) in Tube, adjust so everything is inside the 16/22 hose.

Attach 16/22 hose to powerhead.....

Let it rip....... that's it...

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark

My mister may need adjusting some...

It seems _some_ of the bubble rise rather fast, but I need to direct the flow more downwards... the Eheim Aquaball powerhead is perfect btw....

I plan on adjusting my outflow from spraybar a bit more downwards, so the current will catch the bubbles and push the forward & down.

Martin

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 8, 2005
Sebbersund, Denmark

Symbiot said:
My mister may need adjusting some...

It seems _some_ of the bubble rise rather fast, but I need to direct the flow more downwards... the Eheim Aquaball powerhead is perfect btw....

I plan on adjusting my outflow from spraybar a bit more downwards, so the current will catch the bubbles and push the forward & down.

So, now I've been running the mister for a while. I use the Eheim powerhead with 172G/650L pr. hour.

I not 100% convinced that this is enough gph for an 85G tank, but perhaps somewho who give their 2 cents on this?

It's running pretty smoothly... even though my hairalgae has increased.... annoyingly enough it's at the opposite end of the mister...
alot of the bubbles rise up towards the surface almost right after exiting the powerhead. Now the spraybar does blast the bubbles around the tank, but how can I make sure that I get Co2 to the plants furthest away from the mister? I guess the Co2 that is dissolved like normal will supply those plants....