This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Misting and CO2 Reactors

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by shane, Dec 9, 2006.

1. shane

shane Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I have seen many posts/mention of CO2 misting on this forum. To be honest, I have never even heard of CO2 misting before I started reading it here.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of CO2 misting versus dissolving CO2 into the water? From reading, it seems that CO2 misting provides better growth? Why would that be?

When should a person use CO2 misting? When should a person use a reactor? Can both be used at the same time?

Is CO2 misting better for certain plants?

What method has better CO2 efficiency (IE: not as much wasted CO2)?

2. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Dissolved Co2 V. Misting

Misting is intended to take advantage of a direct gaseous interface to the leaves of the plants. 10,000 % greater efficiency in absorption.

Dissolved Co2 is economically more efficient in terms of waste gas.

I honestly believe that optimum resluts are acheived with a balanced combination of the two.

As far as the benefits of misting. It seems to produce improved growth, enhanced texture and color, and more robust growth in general. It's my own opinion that it also stimulates receptors, and improves overall vitality in the plants metabolic process.

One of the things that sets Tom's little DIY reactor design apart from a handful of others is that he purges the waste gas through the pump producing a combination of both Dissolved Co2, and misting in the affluent. Still one of the single most efficient designs to date ! ;) HTH. Prof M

RE: plants that benefit from misting...Rotala Walechi is a good example as the fine brush leaves really collect the mist, and It's one of those plants that thrives on good Co2 levels. They really perk up with misting !

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I agree that Tom's little powerhead driven "internal venturi reactor" design does a good job of providing both dissolved CO2 and CO2 mist. I am very pleased with it.