CO2 mist

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania
Is CO2 mist generated from feeding CO2 to a powerhead a generally effective way of dissolving CO2?

I have been experiencing with this and while my tank looks like a soda bottle with Mist, it seems it takes a LOT of mist to get the CO2 to where I need it to be.

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
It's not the best way, but it will work. For "misting" I really like the atomic diffusers. I'm using an inline one and while you can see some small bubbles in the tank, it's not as bad as some say it is. It also seems to be fairly efficient.

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania
BriDroid;116485 said:
It's not the best way, but it will work. For "misting" I really like the atomic diffusers. I'm using an inline one and while you can see some small bubbles in the tank, it's not as bad as some say it is. It also seems to be fairly efficient.

What's an atomic diffuser? Can you post a link showing what you use?

Thanks!

Mike Horstman

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2013
Florida Swamp
You can get good quality ones from gla greenleafaquariums.com but they need a specific psi from the solenoid to work properly ii think its 40psi but it says in there description on the website.

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania
Mike Horstman;116488 said:
You can get good quality ones from gla greenleafaquariums.com but they need a specific psi from the solenoid to work properly ii think its 40psi but it says in there description on the website.

Got it thanks. I have seen these on eBay before, but didn't know how well they worked. I assume they need regular cleaning?

Mike Horstman

Junior Poster
Jul 29, 2013
Florida Swamp
PK1;116489 said:
Got it thanks. I have seen these on eBay before, but didn't know how well they worked. I assume they need regular cleaning?

I'm not sure about the eBay ones but a friend of mine got the atomic regulator and diffuser from gla for his 180 and it works great. It needs the same care as any other aquarium part. He cleans his monthly.

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania
Mike Horstman;116493 said:
I'm not sure about the eBay ones but a friend of mine got the atomic regulator and diffuser from gla for his 180 and it works great. It needs the same care as any other aquarium part. He cleans his monthly.

Looks quite simple and effective, but my regulator works at a discharge pressure of 22psig while as you pointed out this diffuser apparently requires a min. of 30psig to operate, so no luck here...

I have been looking for a small pump with a flow of about 100gph with a needle wheel tomget fine mist but haven't found anything that small. I can certainly modify an impeller to get finer mist, but preference would be to use something off the shelf. I haven't been able to fund anything that small with a NW. Anyone has any recommendations?

BriDroid

Prolific Poster
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, 22 psi isn't going to cut it with one of these.

I actually have 2 of them, one from GLA and one from eBay. They are both identical except the eBay one was about $10 cheaper. I have two so that I can change them out while I'm cleaning the other. I use either diluted bleach or H2O2.

If you can get 40 psi out of your regulator, these are really nice. Otherwise, look for something with a needle wheel to help break up the bubbles better.