This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 Mist "Problem"

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by VaughnH, Jan 7, 2006.

1. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I ran my 29 gallon tank with a Eheim diffuser supplying CO2 directly into the tank. I had plants growing well, but was intrigued by the idea of the CO2 mist method, so I changed my Fluval outlet to a vertical spray bar spraying along the back, and moved the diffuser directly under it. Now, about a week later, I have a problem: my plants grow so fast and big I don't think I can possibly keep them trimmed enough. I have mostly water sprite, Hygrophilia difformis, and a little Ludwigia. The first two are the rapid growers. So, it appears that I need to gradually switch to slower growing, less weedy plants. Right now I have an e. parviflorus v.tropica and lobelia cardinalis (small form) on order. What other slower, less weedy plants could substitute for the water sprite and h. difformis I have? I enjoy good plant growth, but come on now.........

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Re: CO2 Mist "Problem"

BECOME A CRYPTOCORYNE NUT. regards,cornhusker :) :)

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

That is one way, but things like HC, Eirocaulons, Tonia's, R wallichii, R macrandra, Bolbitus, narrow leaf java fern, hairgrass etc will also work, adding some rock and wood to the hard scape etc also.

What a bad problem, fast growing plants:)

Still think I'm crazy and it does not work?

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. VaughnH

Lifetime Member

Tom, I never thought you were crazy, but I wondered about myself when I tried that method, knowing it would accelerate the plant growth. I feel like I wanted an ice cream cone, but got a gallon of Cherries Garcia.

I think I will try to go the Crypt route - a 29 gallon tank doesn't need a whole lot of different plants, and Crypts do look awful good. Now, to decide which of the two or three species to use. (Oh, are there more than 2 or 3???) I have a couple of pieces of drift wood, and really like plants a lot more, so a lot of rocks and plants are a no-no.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Vaughnh, good crypt choices= wendtii,several forms,albida,balansae, affinis,beckettii,lucens,petchii,ponterfolia,and willisii. go to Tropica.com for specifics. regards,cornhusker :) :)

6. VaughnH

Lifetime Member

I expect to try just a couple to start, and I lean towards wendtii red, and retrospiralis, even though the latter seems to get pretty big. I have two weeks to get the tank at least party under control - then I will be incapacitated for aquarium maintenance for a couple of weeks or more. Not feeling any pressure, nope, nope!

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

V-
    I am crazy, I have multiple personalities.
    You might also consider Downoi also as a slow growing( and easy to sell to others for lots of $$$).

Blyxa japonica is also something you may consider.

Regards,
    Tom Barr