This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

co2 method for 210

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Htomassini, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    11:09 PM
    Hello all. I seem to be having an issue with my current setup. I have a 210 as follows:
    dual overflows to 29g tank acting as sump with 2 sock filters= mag 2400 in sump pushing to nuclear pleated micron filter and purigen= back to tank.

For co2 i have a mag 5 in the sump feeding this reactor
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_EXT5000_External_Reactor_5000_p/ext5000.htm

and it dumps the water (with co2) back to the sump (the outflow hose is next to the intake of the mag2400)

I had noticed that lately my growth had slowed down and that my read sea regulator/ needle valve was not keeping constant bpm.

I decided to sping for this:
    http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/primo-co2-regulator.html
    Which I am loving it the fabco valve is great.

but I am hardly putting a dent in the co2 of the tank. my indicators show a dark green at best after all day with c02 starting 2 hrs before lights. I am only running 240w of hot5.

I did notice that the reactor is extremely dirty but i cannot take it apart (it is like an RO filter cannister with a small pump inside and nylon scrunchy inside)

I assume that it is the fact that the reactor is dirty why I am not getting my co2 dissolved?

If this design is not working, what do you suggest?
    I do not want to put anything else in the tank, would putting a mazzei in the sump blowing into the intake of the sump pump work?

Thanks

2. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    #2 inkslinger, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
  3. brodydowdy

brodydowdy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My guess along with inkslinger, you are off gassing in the sump. Straight into the tank would be best. You can open the ext 5000 by unscrewing the filter housing (clear part). Makes a mess. Close your valves.

I toyed with a DIY reactor for some time. I actually DIYed a version of the AP ext5000 reactor, and I didn't have good results, so I scrapped it. My goal was to get 100% dispersion of the CO2 into the flow stream (i.e. no bubbles even fine in the tank), no hardware in the tank, with minimal flow loss (using Eheim G90). The Cerge or AP reactor was fine at low CO2 flow rates (with some pretty big flow loss), but once I went higher BPS, the CO2 didn’t dissolve and collected in the top of the reactor (boo). Tried the powerhead in the reactor, tried piping the powerhead input to the reactor top to pull the “big bubble” into the flow for chopping, tried a bigger powerhead for more turbulence in the top of the reactor, tried several different sponge, fiber,…. materials to keep the bubbles out of the tank. Nothing was to my satisfaction (especially the cleaning of the media in the reactor) so used my college degree and the basics of other DIY reactors.

“How do I keep fine bubbles from travelling to the output at the bottom of the reactor (and going into the tank)?” Easy. Decrease the downward flow velocity in the reactor. How? Bigger chamber. I went 3” pipe with an overall length of 24” top to bottom, Rio 180 in the top of the reactor, CO2 bubble placed directly into the powerhead for instant chop. The CO2 bubbles only go about ½ way down the reactor. I attached a picture of my new reactor. No CO2 bubbles in the tank! No CO2 accumulation in the Eheim spraybar. CO2 is gone from the reactor in

#3 brodydowdy, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
  4. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    11:09 PM
    Well I went ahead and bought 2000l/hr needle wheel pump and placed it in my pump and out into the tank through 12' of hose. The flow is slow and I still see big bubbles. I finally was able to take apart to clean the ext5000 reactor ( had to hold it in a bench vise) and it is all gunked up so it will spend time with clorox.

I am thinking of connecting the needle pump to the reactor (when it's clean) and using a mag 5 or seven after to push the water into the tank directly.

The other idea is to hook the outflow into the inlet of the sump pump via a tee. What do you all think?

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd fix the sump 1st.
    If you have degassing, there's a leak somewhere etc, this will solve it.
    I'd keep the NW and feed direct to the return line.
    Clean the filter, the sponges etc.

Something has changed the CO2.
    See if a trim, increased flow, etc will help.......more plant biomass has occurred between the time when growth was good, and now?

6. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have a sump in a much smaller tank but faced much of the same issues, so did Gerryd, he can probably give some input as well. Sealing the sump and weir (especially the sump) helped with CO2 offgas considerably. If you decide to use the reactor, I'd probably DIY one, like on here the external venturi reactor on here, try to stay away from 90 deg elbows and sharp turns and stick with flex tubing and straight hose barbs. I learned the cerges as it's shown is pretty much a flow killer with the dual 90 degree elbows. I think the NW though is probably a better option.