This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 max concentration

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by TheWizard, Jul 2, 2017.

1. TheWizard

TheWizard New Member

Local Time:
    9:58 AM
    Where throughout the day will you CO2 be at its highest concentration? Does it plateau and then decrease when it shuts off? Does it peak early, or gain concentration over the day?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2:58 PM
    Generally it will peak later in the day but should level off after the first 1-2 hours and slowly climb
    But some systems are slow to build up, and have high or decent ppm later in the day. These systems generally get algae. Even though their drop checkers or measures seem okay due to WHEN they take a reading vs measuring all day cycle.

3. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:58 AM
    The higher CO2 concentration becomes, the more it takes to raise it further. Going from a baseline 2-3 ppm to 25 might be quick, but it'll take longer to go from 25 to 40 ppm at the same injection rate.

In other words, as Tom pointed out, the first hour or two CO2 levels will climb fast, then slow down, and eventually peak. It will NOT keep rising indefinitely at the same injection rate.

This is where you'll need to play around with the rate of injection vs what time it starts. ideally you want a decent level by the time the lights come on, peak a couple hours later, and stay comfortable for the livestock in the process.

For example in my 120 gal I can drop the PH 1.3 in about 30 minutes...if I wanted to. But that rate soon becomes too much for the livestock. To compensate I run a lower injection rate, and have it come on sooner, around 90 minutes before the lights. It takes longer for the concentration to build up, but the peak happens sooner in the day

4. TheWizard

TheWizard New Member

Local Time:
    I feel a ph pen in my future.

5. TheWizard

TheWizard New Member

Local Time:
    I have a pretty high injection rate, so I'm assuming it peaks quickly, but I only have drop test solution. My pH dips below 6 before the lights even come on.

6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    8:58 AM
    Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on this hobby, and be sure to grab some calibration fluid to go with it

7. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    2:58 PM
    I have a PH controller but only use it to monitor my PH. Usually, if you CO2 is not dialed in, you will find that, the CO2 will build up and reach a peak (depending on how early before lights you start). My peak is 5.23 PH after 1 hour and my CO2 starts 1.5 hours before lights.
    Once lights comes on, as plants start consuming the CO2, the PH rises. When my CO2 was not dialed in, it will rise up to 5.45 PH.
    As you dial in your CO2, you will find that the onset of light and consumption from plants don't raise your PH. This is the sweet spot you want to be.

Get a PH pen, or if budget permits a PH controller/monitor.

Tags: