This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 issues? Read this

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Tom Barr, Sep 22, 2005.

1. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:36 PM
    Now that was a neat experiment! It does seem like a foolproof way to prove that the bubbles, whatever they are, are coming from the plants. And, oxygen should be the only respired gas, I would think. Otherwise, one would have to argue that a supersaturated gas in the water was coming out of solution on the leaves.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plants keep expelling O2 at night , you need to wait longer, they also have stores of "lacunae", aerenchymanous tissue, holds lots of air, and they gets slightly pressurized. When the O2 is pumped out, these relax and there is less pressure.

These may act as a store house of O2.
    In anaerobic hydro soil, this is a very good thing.

Basically leftover pearling.

But yes, you can assume there is no CO2 left/mist from the diffuser.
    That would be safe to say.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Waste Gas ?

Sorry Tom, I'm a bit slow...:rolleyes: I'll see If I can set up to either preserve/contain the gas for test, or direct the waste for a chromatagraph. I don't enjoy the same access to equipment these days. I can have a friend do a readout at the plant, but I reckon it will likely vary as much as the source ? In which case the results are subjective, and not particularly viable. O2, and N2 were the pat answer from the plant. Depending on the refinement O2 waste varies, and N2 remains fairly stable. Prof M

"Prof M, did you test the Gas that's purged?
    I'm lacking time and other things at the moment and will not get to it.
    It is one of the great mystries yet no one has ever tested what it might be.
    I'm thinking O2 and N2 mainly. "

4. Professor Myers

Professor Myers Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Next Question !

Does waste gas actually provide any vital stimulation for receptors ? and what would happen if you taper off envioronmental stimulation ? :confused: Prof M