Co2 injection: What's the most efficient method?

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
You have the reactor set up right I think the main problem with the am 1000 is the barb size, there's a lot of restriction there. The other difference is the am 1000 is 3" my media reactor that was converted is about 6" with 3/4 barbs.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
I never tried the AM-1000 but did try the 2" PVC route and a lot of bubbles would just make it through the reactor. That's when I moved to a Cerges reactor 20" and that helped tremendously but it was very tall. the reactor I run now is shorter but it makes up for the lost height with girth slowing the flow through the reactor. I'll bet I get way more contact time then you do with the AM-1000/cerges combo (I take it yours is just a 10" cerges).

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Yes, my cerges is 10" plus a 3" cap. I am curious to know what kind of enclosure you use for your reactor. Is that a modified home-filter or a completely custom made one? Also, what needle-wheel pump do you use to drive the reactor? Sorry, but the more info you give me, the more questions arise!! Thanks :)

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
No worries Fab. Here it is a little dark as we are watching a movie. The pump is a Waveline DC-6000. I have it converted to the skimmer configyration that adds a Venturi and needle wheel impeller. In the skimmer configuration the flow rates are greatly reduced. The benefit of the DC pump is that the flow can be adjusted via the controller, the manufacturer claims 6 set points but it go's up in half increments so it's actually 12. I have had this pump running for 3 months now at the second set point. An other added benefit is that the pump runs much cooler.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/waveline-dc-pumps-gen2

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
No I modified it a bit but it is an off the shelf media reactor that I run backwards like the cerges. I had to drill and tap the two barbs and glue the down tube so that it would not suck CO2 into the outgoing line.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
Hopefully it helps you out. I will try to remove the filter pad this weekend and see were that takes me.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Ltb420, today I got my Micro-Pore Hog which I ended up buying it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it doesn't seem to work well. Bubbles are getting out only around the air intake, and their size is big (!!)... do you think it is defective? Did you have a similar issue? Airpump should be powerful enough, I am using a Aqua-Supreme Ap-4 (2.0 PSI)... ideas?

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
How was the packaging for yours? Mine came in a box but I have seen some in bags. My bubbles are a lot smaller than the regular ceramic air stones. A lot of tiny bubbles make it to the return pump and into the main tank. I also see just a bit of air leaking from the end cap, and those bubbles are large, but I don't see a lot coming from there If your losing a lot of air from the end cap it may not have been sealed properly and I would have them send a new one. In the picture I posted befor I'm using a pump that puts out 2psi and 6 litters of air per minute. Your pump from what I could find puts out 4.5 lpm but that should still be sufficient to run that stone.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Mine was in a box, and my pump is rated 2.0 PSI (on its own box). I am afraid I have to send it back then, since I see just big bubbles coming out around the air intake, and no bubbles at all coming from the rest of the stone. Ouch!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
That's a bummer I lose very little around the seals. If most of the air is comming from there then it must be bad.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
I thought about getting that one and running it under the wet/dry section since it was so large.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
I haven't received the micro-pore stone yet, but in the meantime something interesting happened... for two days I haven't looked at my reactor, and the second bleed (placed about 2 inches under the top) got clogged, and then gas built up into the reactor to fill it almost completely with Co2... and that happened for two days.... guess what? The PH drop curve was exactly like yours! Have a look at the attached screenshot of those two days.

The PH dropped a little bit less (probably because the reactor became a little bit less "efficient' with all that gas built up inside), but the PH (and probably the Co2 concentration inside the tank) was perfectly stable for the whole day!

Why's that? I'd like to have that curve and that stability, but without having to "build-up" gas inside my reactor! Thoughts?

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
From what I can take in you may just need to adjust the level that the bleed line is set at. At this point I would reset the reactor with the bleed line closed and check where the gas bubble is at when the graph bottoms out. That should be close to the level you should set the bleed line at.

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
ltb420 said:
From what I can take in you may just need to adjust the level that the bleed line is set at. At this point I would reset the reactor with the bleed line closed and check where the gas bubble is at when the graph bottoms out. That should be close to the level you should set the bleed line at.

Great idea! I will try to do that today and let you know. Thanks!