This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

co2 indicator question?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by ccLansman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:52 PM
    I purchased the red sea co2 checker and in the directions it mentions that it will not give correct readings if the water KH is below 4, how do i know without a test kit if i have 4 kh water. If i dont how can i go about getting it above 4?

The plants are pearling and the tester is still blue.

thanks.

2. swylie

swylie Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Unfortunately, those directions make things simpler than they really are. For your drop checker to work properly you need water of a known KH with no other buffers. That means distilled or deionized water with a known quantity of baking soda added. Most people use a 4 dKH solution so that the drop checker is green when the CO2 concentration is about 30 ppm.

You'll need to either make or buy this 4 dKH solution. There are directions on this board and elsewhere on the internet for how to make it. It's not that hard, but you'll either need a KH test kit or a fairly sensitive scale.

3. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  4. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    odd thing happened, today it turned green.. Guess it takes 24hrs to start working?....

5. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It definitely doesn't take the drop checker 24 hours to start working. You might want to double check something. Take your drop checker out and clean out the bell portion of it on the inside -- you can leave the 4dKH solution in it. You may notice a scum (protein?) layer across the bell. If your drop checker stays green after your CO2 goes off (it will even stay green all nite), you can rest assured that you have the scum layer. For some reason, this layer causes the CO2 to keep building up -- there is no longer an exchange of CO2 with the water.