This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Co2 diffusion into a 40b

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by slipfinger, Sep 10, 2017.

1. slipfinger

slipfinger Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    4:42 PM
    What do you guys think is the best/most efficient way of getting Co2 into a 40g breeder?

I am currently using a ceramic diffuser, Co2 is on 24/7 and drop checker is yellow. What ever that means.

I think I'm getting a descent ph drop, but looking for what others are using on there smaller tanks.

Current Ph of 40's
    Bottom tank 5.9, three week or so old AS
    Upper tank 5.7, brand new AS.

As mentioned I don't know the off gas ph of the 40's as I'm running it 24/7. But using the 75gal as reference (same tap) Just before Co2 comes on 7.5, peak Co2 6.1/6.2.

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:42 PM
    I use a CO2 reactor, inline with a canister filter and as part of an overflow/sump configuration on 20L/40B. Pressurized CO2 during photo period, not sure why your CO2 is 24/7? A pH pen would do better for CO2 monitoring vs drop checker IMO.

3. slipfinger

Local Time:
    Thanks for your reply.

When you say reactor, are you talking Griggs, Cerges or ??

You have an overflow/sump on your 40gal? If so what size sump are you using?

The system is pressurized, split between both tanks with 2 separate needle valves. Gas on 24/7 for no other reason then I have not setup a timer yet.

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The "best, most efficient way" to get CO2 into the water depends on what you are willing to tolerate. If you don't mind having micro bubbles throughout the water you can get 100% of the CO2 in the water, and have it mixed with very slowly dissolving micro bubbles that make CO2 easily available to the plants. Use a needle wheel or equivalent powerhead, with the CO2 being chopped up by the rotor into micro bubbles. If you don't mind having a large object taking up lots of room under your tank, a "Griggs" or "Cerges" style reactor will do it. If you are willing to keep it clean, a glass diffuser in the tank will do it. My preference is to have a tiny "power filter", like a Hagen Elite, in the tank, with the CO2 entering through a check valve to the filter compartment, so little bursts of micro bubbles are emitted.

DutchMuch likes this.
  5. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would be interested to know which CO2 delivery system they used for that 17 ft plated tank that @Tom Barr worked on for Amazon.

Edit: "The supply pump sends water to a large inline fiberglass CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer on it’s way to the display tank. A fiberglass bio-tower built by Tenji is on a dedicated pump and sealed properly to prevent off-gassing of CO2. Water leaving the tank is gravity fed to a custom MRC sump fitted with gravity flow filter bags."

"Pressurized CO2 is introduced to the fiberglass reactor through an industrial quality regulator and needle valve. CO2 dosing is controlled by pH through the Apex system. "

I really want to see a cutaway of that fibreglass CO2 reactor. Can you get your hands on the blueprints?

#5 Kyalgae, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  6. jsarrow

jsarrow Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've had really good results recently with a glass diffuser placed directly under the intake on my canister filter with no burps, etc.. You see folks in Europe and Asia doing this more then folks in the U.S. Some people will mention cavitation issues with the impeller but I have never experienced it; rather the impeller does a great job making micro C02 bubble. I have also had good experiences with an Ista reactor but it reduces flow into the tank; I tend to favor a more simple, yet effective approach these days..

7. slipfinger

Local Time:
    Sat looking at the tanks last thing thinking exactly this. I am going to try putting the diffuser right under the intake and see what happens. I am trying to avoid adding anything inline because I'm using cheap Marineland 220 canisters which advertise 220gph, but we all know that's a load of crap.

TBH, I think I'm getting pretty good Co2 distribution within the tank using just a ceramic diffuser, but hard to tell because of the new AS lowering the ph. I need to spend more time with the ph probe monitoring whats going on.

First tank with new AS is almost 4 weeks old and no sizes of algae..... Knock on wood!

snarkingturtle likes this.
Tags: