This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 diffusion 180g tank advice

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Katfish, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Katfish

Katfish Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:14 PM
    Hi I am running a 180gallon tank with sump fully planted with co2 controlled by a PH controller also have 1260 bucket filter (3400ltr/ph) which is full up with slintred glass & floss for water polishing.

The tank has full length front and back spray bars.

I am at the moment feeding the co2 into the return pump (OR 6500) from the sump and this works quite well as I am always in the green in all points of the tank and a 2kg bottle lasts me around 80 days the only thing that has got me me now is the micro bubbles in the tank when the co2 comes on.

I am now looking for another way to get the co2 in the tank without the micro bubbles.

Any suggestions would be great but would have to go in with my existing set up which is 16mm I/D hose outlet and 25mm I/D on the inlet on the bucket filter and 25mm hose outlet and 40mm inlet on the sump.

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A simple way is to install a reactor in line and extend your outlet line. This allows more time for the c02 to dissolve before it hits the tank....6-8' more line will dissolve more c02 if that makes sense..of course you will lose some flow with this as well. The reactor would help a lot..

3. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    +1 on what Gerry said...but....A very high flow pump will also cause such high flow in the reactor that the CO2 bubbles are prevented to rise upwards and dissolve. The effect will be that the go straight to the exit and enter the tank as big bubbles. A typical AM1000 will max out at more than 250 gph.

4. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    I built a big reactor, and I'm pushing over 500 GPH through it without a single micro bubble. I do not chop the bubbles up before they go into the reactor however, they are injected straight in the reactor.

My reactor uses 4" pipe, and is about 2 feet tall. It is filled top to bottom with Bio-balls - that makes a big difference.

HTH,
    Whiskey