Co2 Checker

dannyfish

Prolific Poster
Jan 6, 2010
Singapore
I have a Co2 checker in my tank...
i noticed that the solution is kind of smelly when i changing the solutions
Is it normal?

the checker always show blue although i am having 4 DIY Co2 1.5L bottle in my 55 litres tank..
Wondering is my co2 is still lacking after install so many bottle of Co2.....

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
  • It could be that the DC is wrong.
    You need to use a 4 dKH solution in your DC. Do not use water from the tank.
  • Or the DC is correct, and the CO2 from your yeast rector is not getting to your diffuser. In which case you have an air leak or a blocked line.
  • And/or the diffusion method is inadequate and the CO2 is just gassing off.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

dannyfish

Prolific Poster
Jan 6, 2010
Singapore
Tug;55754 said:
  • It could be that the DC is wrong.
    You need to use a 4 dKH solution in your DC. Do not use water from the tank.
  • Or the DC is correct, and the CO2 from your yeast rector is not getting to your diffuser. In which case you have an air leak or a blocked line.
  • And/or the diffusion method is inadequate and the CO2 is just gassing off.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And/or the diffusion method is inadequate and the CO2 is just gassing off.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the diffusing of Co2, i using wooden air stone...fine bubble is produced (see pic) i got 4 of them in my tank at different area. I believe/guess it should be adequate diffuse right? If no then i also don't know what to do already!!! "surrender"

photo 2..JPG

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
The greater your plant density the greater the demand for CO2 and nutrients will become. This is also true when you have high levels of light, more demanding plants. It is good to remember an increase to your levels of CO2 will also increase the plants uptake of nutrients, if the supply of CO2 is increased even slightly, the resulting increase in growth will increase the demand for all the other nutrients and another nutrient, the next lowest in availability, will become limiting. Liebig's Law of the Minimum

Your situation sounds as if the diffusion method is insufficient. It is extremely important when adding CO2 that the levels remain consistent (pressurized systems are great for this) and that the CO2 circulate throughout the tank. Your wooden air stone will bump up against both of these issues. With age they get dirty, slowly reducing the flow of CO2. More relevant to your situation, if the bubbles are heading for the surface, is improving the flow of CO2 around the tank.

One solution would be to add a small powerhead to move the bubbles across the tank, dispersing the CO2 and giving it time to dissolve. This will at least address one of the flow issues.

I suggest you find a powerhead/needlewheel modification that you like. The more consistent and improved circulation of CO2, the better. There are a lot of powerhead modifications out there. A modified Duetto Multi-Filter is the one I use, BUMP. http://www.barrreport.com/entry.php/2-DIY-CO2-reactor-surface-skimmer

Last edited by a moderator: