CO2 canister

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
If I bought a CO2 fire extinguisher, is it just a case of unscrewing the horn attachment and putting your regulator on it? Im a bit of a neewbie on this and wanna make sure I get it right before I lay out some cash. Seen this on ebay.

ebay item

Brainman

Junior Poster
Nov 28, 2006
I have CO2 canister from old CO2 fire extinguisher, and I`m using manometar for welding, but I have needle valve for fine tuning. It looks like canisister from eBay...

neil1973

Prolific Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Stirling, UK
You should be able to pick one up cheaper than the example you have e.g. eBay.co.uk: 2kg Co2 Fire Extinguisher (item 230092161242 end time 21-Feb-07 09:10:45 GMT). If your regulator is a standard fitting then it will screw straight on in place of the horn. I think you have previously posted that you have a jbl reg, i'm guessing it will be a standard fitting but with a large international company such as jbl they may have their own standard so i would definitely check.

I personally use this regulator http://pixi.aquaristic.net/aquarium...cer_with_2_manometer_dosage_valve.html?lang=1 and an extinguisher with no problems. I have just screwed on the regulator and cable tied the extinguisher handle down. PLEASE NOTE: I am not necessarily saying this is a good idea, entirely safe or recommended although I know it is quite a common practice in the UK especially among reef keepers with their calcium reactors.

Cheers
Neil

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
neil1973;14311 said:
You should be able to pick one up cheaper than the example you have e.g. eBay.co.uk: 2kg Co2 Fire Extinguisher (item 230092161242 end time 21-Feb-07 09:10:45 GMT). If your regulator is a standard fitting then it will screw straight on in place of the horn. I think you have previously posted that you have a jbl reg, i'm guessing it will be a standard fitting but with a large international company such as jbl they may have their own standard so i would definitely check.

I personally use this regulator aquaristic.net - CO2 Pressure reducer with 2 Manometer + dosage valve and an extinguisher with no problems. I have just screwed on the regulator and cable tied the extinguisher handle down. PLEASE NOTE: I am not necessarily saying this is a good idea, entirely safe or recommended although I know it is quite a common practice in the UK especially among reef keepers with their calcium reactors.

Cheers
Neil

I checked up and the JBL is standard fitting, which is great, so Ive bought a refurbed, full 2kg for £28 including a handy wall bracket, so I think itll do fine. Thanks for your help everyone :)