This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 canister

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Frolicsome_Flora, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

If I bought a CO2 fire extinguisher, is it just a case of unscrewing the horn attachment and putting your regulator on it? Im a bit of a neewbie on this and wanna make sure I get it right before I lay out some cash. Seen this on ebay.

ebay item

2. Brainman

Brainman Junior Poster

I have CO2 canister from old CO2 fire extinguisher, and I`m using manometar for welding, but I have needle valve for fine tuning. It looks like canisister from eBay...

3. neil1973

neil1973 Prolific Poster

You should be able to pick one up cheaper than the example you have e.g. eBay.co.uk: 2kg Co2 Fire Extinguisher (item 230092161242 end time 21-Feb-07 09:10:45 GMT). If your regulator is a standard fitting then it will screw straight on in place of the horn. I think you have previously posted that you have a jbl reg, i'm guessing it will be a standard fitting but with a large international company such as jbl they may have their own standard so i would definitely check.

I personally use this regulator http://pixi.aquaristic.net/aquarium/technical_equipment/co2_equipment/co2_components/co2_pressure_reducer_with_2_manometer_dosage_valve.html?lang=1 and an extinguisher with no problems. I have just screwed on the regulator and cable tied the extinguisher handle down. PLEASE NOTE: I am not necessarily saying this is a good idea, entirely safe or recommended although I know it is quite a common practice in the UK especially among reef keepers with their calcium reactors.

Cheers
    Neil

4. Frolicsome_Flora

Frolicsome_Flora Guru Class Expert

I checked up and the JBL is standard fitting, which is great, so Ive bought a refurbed, full 2kg for £28 including a handy wall bracket, so I think itll do fine. Thanks for your help everyone :)