This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Co2 Bell As A Water Change Indicator

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by f-fish, Aug 23, 2018.

1. f-fish

f-fish Member

Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    Been playing with various sizes of clear bottles as CO2 bells - I would fill them each morning and typically either by lights out or the next morning all the CO2 would have been diffused into the tanks water.

[​IMG]

Above an example, this would typically be done well before the next morning. But then I started to notice a pattern, on some tanks ( have 5 with this now) I would not see the CO2 totally diffused by the next morning. Or like the case above 36 hours later, but once I do a water change on the tank I am good for a few weeks of total CO2 diffusion.

Now I know that this is not the best way of adding CO2 to a tank, but it is so satisfying doing the manual refill, seeing how such a small amount makes big changes in the tank ... I even got some pearling going ..

So the question is ... does it make sense to use the CO2 bell as an indicator when a WC would be required, and if so why?

Later Ferdie

2. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:19 PM
    The problem I see with them is lack of surface agitation to get rid of surface film buildup within the Bell. More film means less co2 transfer. If you don’t get rid of the film regularly, I would expect to see disolution rates decline over time.

#2 toads74, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. f-fish

f-fish Member

Local Time:
    Hi @toads74 - thanks for jumping in on the thread.

Hmm, will confess have not checked for surface film, that said when I refill the bells it is rather violent in that the CO2 is blasted into the then water filled bottle. The refill also pushes all the water out of the bottle and then some. So I would suspect at least on every refill it should have no film left if it ever was a problem. Your point is still valid - so on 36 degrees ( the tank I just did the 30% WC on) once I see CO2 uptake slowing down, I will be sure to remove the bottle - rinse it with tank water and see if uptake improves.

Later Ferdie

4. tiger15

tiger15 Member

Local Time:
    9:19 PM
    Have you checked for pH, gH and kH change after WC. When you do a WC, you are replacing some loss minerals. Higher pH and kH water can dissolve CO2 faster.

5. f-fish

f-fish Member

Local Time:
    Bingo .. think that is it .. pH is near 8 out the tap ... but tank typically much lower, not a big fan of measuring things, but suspect to get to the bottom of this I will need to start with pH

Thanks for the direction @tiger15

Tags: