This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 and O2 diffusion problems

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by scoupland, Jan 22, 2014.

1. scoupland

scoupland Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:03 PM
    I’ve got problems with CO2 and O2 diffusion.

My CO2 setup: CO2 is fed into the venturi of an octopus bubble blaster 1000s needle wheel pump (170 gph air intake). The output goes to a 20” cerges reactor that then that output goes to the input of the main sump pump. The return line is through an internal overflow that with a split loc line output. One loc line points down towards the bottom of the tank and the other points more towards the water surface to create some surface agitation. I slowly lowered the CO2 until the fish started coming to the surface and then backed it off a bit until the fish were comfortable. The issue is that the tank is full of microbubbles and I am not sure why. I thought this setup would allow for of opportunity for the CO2 to diffuse before entering the tank. I did notice that when water enters the reactor it is turbulent at the top; that is, there are some large bubbles apparent in the top of the canister. I am not sure what this means? Is it possible that my NW pump is too strong or not strong enough? Could this be causing the microbubbles in the tank?

O2 diffusion issue: Despite the low pH, I see little to no pearling of the plants. I am using EI to fertilize and the plants are growing. This tells me the water’s O2 level is below its saturation point. Aeration comes from an internal overflow, a W/D sump, and a locline return and an MP10 creating surface agitation. How do I increase the O2 diffusion?

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    8:03 PM
    About the gas buildup, you have too much gas not dissolving. Drastically reduce the outflow of the reactor and that will help increase dissolution by increasing internal pressure. How you achieve that flow reduction is up to you.

As for the second question, you really should be looking at growth. If it's growing, it's producing oxygen.