This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 and lights on separate timers

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by PMC, Nov 4, 2005.

1. PMC

PMC Junior Poster

I've got my lights and CO2 on separate timers and am wondering what the concensus is for when the CO2 should come on prior to the lights and when the CO2 should be turned off? Say, for instance the lights come on at noon and go off at 10pm. Should the CO2 get a one hour's head start (turned on at 11am) and be turned off, say, 1/2 hour earlier (9:30pm)?

Thanks, Peter

2. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Re: CO2 and lights on separate timers

I have mine set to come on 1/2 hour before the lights come on and go off 1/2 hr after lights out.

3. brad

brad Prolific Poster

mine comes on a 1/2 hour before the lights, and goes off at the same time.

4. matpat

matpat Prolific Poster

Mine is set to an hour before light on, I think :) I think the important thing is to check your CO2 levels when the lights first come in. If it is at 30ppm then you should be fine. If it is lower, you may want to try starting the CO2 a bit earlier.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

because i have so many digital timers in service, ''$25.00 a pop'' i set my reactors to come on with lights and go off at same time.i think too much tech. is getting involved here.ambiant light also is different at different times where the tank is located.this light information,pro's and con's have worn out it's welcome.too many variables! the same go's for TEST KITS. regards,cornhusker :) :)

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

I've never had any issues with using the light timer for CO2.

some suggest you get better growth if the CO2 is high when the lights come on, but I think the fish and the time of day when the O2 is lowest balance that issue out.

Either way, I do not think you will find it that much difference, I'd be very surprised if you did. I tried aeration at night/all sorts of timer set ups, even adding pure O2 gas.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. PMC

PMC Junior Poster

Helpful advise. Thanks everyone.