This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

CO2 and drop checkers

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by laka, Feb 12, 2007.

1. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Why go to all the fuss of a drop checker when one can use a CO2 test kit? I have a LaMotte CO2 kit and am happy with it. Are you saying that drop checkers are more accurate?

2. Vladimir Zhurov

Vladimir Zhurov Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

I do not use neither, but I would guess that drop checker has the following major advantages:

1. it is always ON, you can check CO2 level as you pass by the tank;
    2. it is cheaper.

Regards.

Vladimir.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The drop checker is also accurate, even if your tank water is high in tannins and phosphates. That isn't the case with any of the test kits that use KH and pH to determine CO2 ppm.

4. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Yes i agree Even LaMotte admit this. I live in Australia. Where can i purchase a drop checker from? What does ADA stand for?

5. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Does anyone have any experience with Dupla Permanent CO2 test kit?
    LAKA

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

You can DIY, check Vaughn's many incarnations.

You can buy from many of the Hong Kong ebay places.
    About 15-20$ US.

You'll need the KH ref solution and bromo blue pH indicator. Add 3 drops to 6mls of KH solution inside the drop checker, replace about 2-3 week intervals etc.

Getting the KH ref solution will be the tough part unless you or others "Down Yonder" there make it.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

8. PaulB

PaulB Subscriber

LAKA, i have bought 2 of the drop checkers from ebay (broke the first), so yes you can get them in Australia (cost about $36.00 delivered). I also have 5lt of Tom's original 40°KH solution (4.99gr bicarb soda to 5lt of distilled water). Let me know if you want some of this. I can even dilute this down to 1lt of 4°KH solution if you can't do this yourself.

P.S. I have been using the drop checker method for about 6 weeks and its a very big improvement over any of the other methods to determine CO2.

9. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Thanks for all the advice.
    PaulB i will order a drop checker from ebay tonight. I should be OK with making the KH ref. sln-will follow VaughnH's recipe. If i run into any probs. i'll let you know.
    LAKA