Co2 And Algae Question

fftfk

Apr 24, 2018
US
I’ve been battling a big algae outbreak. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I’ve turned the corner on the algae.

Early in process of dealing with the algae I read that fluctuating levels of CO2 were thought to be a cause of algae. I switched my CO2 from on during the lighting period only to on 24 hours a day. Previously my Ph fluctuated from 7.6 to 6.6 with the lighting schedule on a daily basis. Now I am keeping my Ph at a steady 6.8.

Which is better? What level of fluctuation causes Algae? It seems a waste of CO2 to me. Plus I noticed last night that some of my fish (dwarf praecox) were at the top of the tank looking like they were taking breathes. I raised my Ph slightly from 6.8 to 6.9 in response. I never noticed this behavior during the day.

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
You answered your own question. CO2, 24hrs on will gas your fish. The fluctuations of CO2 you referred to is for during "lighting" periods, not 24hrs. The information given isn't enough to trouble shoot this issue.

ChuckM6421

Apr 10, 2018
Upstate NY
I’ve been battling a big algae outbreak. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I’ve turned the corner on the algae.

Early in process of dealing with the algae I read that fluctuating levels of CO2 were thought to be a cause of algae. I switched my CO2 from on during the lighting period only to on 24 hours a day. Previously my Ph fluctuated from 7.6 to 6.6 with the lighting schedule on a daily basis. Now I am keeping my Ph at a steady 6.8.

Which is better? What level of fluctuation causes Algae? It seems a waste of CO2 to me. Plus I noticed last night that some of my fish (dwarf praecox) were at the top of the tank looking like they were taking breathes. I raised my Ph slightly from 6.8 to 6.9 in response. I never noticed this behavior during the day.
Agree with Mooner.
Think of the natural world. CO2 will fluctuate over 24 hours because that's how plants work. You algae issues are based on some other issue, but likely not too much C02.
Posting some recent water readings would help, including Phospates.
Also unknown is your feeding schedule and what's being fed.

Reactions: fftfk

erebos

May 24, 2020
USA
No need for CO2 24hrs a day that is a waste of CO2. It's just important to have the water saturated before lights come on, so starting an hour or so before and keeping levels steady. The 1 point PH drop is a good starting point.

Algae is opportunistic and in simple thinking usually because the right "balance" hasn't been found in your tank. You'll see the analogy a lot that light is like the gas pedal that drives growth and CO2/ferts like the fuel. If your lighting is too high then you're pushing the gas pedal but if you aren't giving enough CO2 or fertilizer to match this, it will allow the algae to outcompete the plants and make the plants unhealthy. A common problem with us aquarists is thinking we need more light, but that means you need a lot of CO2 and a lot of nutrients and if something is out of balance then it will go bad quicker. The usual recommendation is to lower your light level and take the foot off the gas a bit, make sure you have good CO2 and O2 exchange, adequate fertilizer and keep good maintenance, lots of water changes and plant husbandry. Things like Seachem Excel can help to treat but this balance will need to be found in the long term. Concentrate on growing healthy plants and healthy plants will deter algae.

Dennis' site is always a good recommendation to read up: https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control/algae-control-101

Good luck!

Reactions: fftfk

fftfk

Apr 24, 2018
US
Thank you for all of the great answers. I have backed off the CO2 and only use it during lighting hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk