This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Co2 And Air Stone

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by clambier, Apr 16, 2018.

1. clambier

clambier New Member

Local Time:
    7:32 AM
    IF i have started to run co2 rather then excel should i be taking out my air stone as i have heard it counter acts pressurized co2

2. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:32 PM
    You might just have to run the CO2 slightly higher to get to a good pH drop. Maintaining good gas exchange is more important than minimizing CO2 use. Keeping good surface ripple is actually more effective for gas exchange than an airstone.

3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:32 PM
    It's not going to counteract the CO2 conc in your tank as such, it's possible to maintain optimum CO2 and high O2 at the same time; the two are not mutually exclusive.
    The stream of air bubbles hitting the surface may cause enough surface disturbance to degas your tank's CO2 at a faster rate than a gentle surface ripple, created by a lily pipe for instance.
    I'd aim for a gentle ripple like @Christophe mentioned above. But using an airstone at night is a good idea If you want to increase gas exchange when plants aren't producing O2.

Tags: