This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Cloudy water -- filter media changes

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by rs18alpha, Feb 25, 2017.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    2:54 PM
    I put a new a sponge in my HOB filter the other week and my water cleared up. I started using CO2 7 weeks ago and I couldn't seem to get the water clear. I did water changes cleaned the filter and the bio bag but nothing worked.

It was pretty old. I don't know how often I should change the filter.

So, apparently the old filter was the problem..

I know a lot of people use Purigen, but Iv'e never tried it. It says you can recharge it with bleach, but I don't feel good about using bleach. I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to rinse it out good enough. But that's just me.

2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not sure if Purigen is your problem (white cloudy could be bacteria), but you clean Purigen in bleach and then use dechlor. Do all this in a small bowl and you can add 4 or 5 ml in a small volume of water and get superstrength dechlor. Then let it sit and air out dry for a couple of days and sniff to see if any bleach smell remains. In the off chance it does smell like bleach, repeat with the dechlor. When I used Purigen, I had two sets of bags, one in use and the other drying out.

3. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Don't let Purigen dry. It need to be stored wet. I checked with Seachem. That's why it comes with some liquid in the pack when purchased new.

4. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good to know if I ever use again, I found it didn't do anything

5. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    It cleans up organics only. It's a better alternative to carbon because carbon can pull some traces out. Actually Seachem claims their aquavitro purfiltrum is even better and does not remove any traces while Purigen might.