This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Cloudy Water...bacteria Bloom?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Microbiology' started by Robb, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Robb

Robb New Member

Local Time:
    3:08 AM
    Hey all, I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize if this is in the wrong place...
    I have an interesting situation. My tank water becomes cloudy during the daytime and then clears up at night. I am wondering if this could be bacteria in the water column increasing in number during the day? Water is not green, so I don't think it's algae. Tank's been running almost 6 weeks so the tank and filter should be cycled. Or could this be some sort of a chemical reaction going on induced by light? Water cloudiness starts even before tank light comes on. Weird. Water parameters are 5.5 dKH and 7 dGH. pH right at or just above 7. Thanks for any insight folks can provide.

2. Robb

Robb New Member

Local Time:
    3:08 AM
    Well, I looked at a water sample under the microscope. It’s a diatom bloom. I know this will eventually go away. Other suggestions to eliminate? Better mechanical filtration? Blackout tank? I need to see if they’re present in my well water. I am concerned I would just be reinoculating tank with each water change.