This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Closed CO2 loop for 125g

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by exv152, May 31, 2013.

1. exv152

exv152 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:06 AM
    I'm always looking to improve co2 in my 125g. I recently came up with an idea to create my own stand alone loop for co2. The idea would be to use an old eheim intake leading out of the tank, hooked up to a DIY rex grigg style reactor, leading into an external pump with a NW impeller, which will then lead back into the tank and out of a spray bar.

Another idea I had was to make a similar system but feeding co2 via an inline diffuser which would lead into a cerges reactor, and putting an external pump on the end of that with a NW impeller pushing it all back into the tank.

Both ideas would be separate from the two canister filters I already have running on the tank, which I figure could benefit from the increased circulation. This would bring me closer to 7 times the volume of my tank per hour.

Another one of the main issues I have in a 72"x 18" footprint has been getting good even co2 throughout.

Any pictures, comments, ideas etc., would be welcome.

Thanks, Eric

2. ChadRamsey

ChadRamsey Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I have the same 125g tank. Although i use a single FX5 filter, with a rex reactor that is inline on the output side. I currently am using a 5 ft spraybar that runs the length of the back wall, of course aimed that the front of the tank. I also utilize a Koralia powerhead on the opposite site of the filter intake that points toward the intake side.

I have placed a standard glass drop checker all over the take and determined that the co2 is being evenly distributed at about the same rate.

#2 ChadRamsey, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  3. exv152

exv152 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Chad. I was hoping to create a separate co2 system, separate from my filter. I like your spray bar idea that runs almost the length of the tank. I’m thinking of doing something similar but with a needle wheel or pin wheel pump, fed to the center of the tank to a T split, and then onto two spray bars of approx three feet each covering the entire tank.