This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Close Loop Return Line

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by inkslinger, Jan 27, 2009.

1. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    My new close loop line is going to be 1 inch .
    I need some of your opinion on my return line I was starting to built 2 returns from 1 inch to 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch split Loc-Line would this coast to much pressure . I have got all the parts put together and now I am having second thoughts of this .
    Should I just stick with a 1 inch to 3/4 inch to a 3/4 inch split Loc-Line.
    The tank is 60x18x24 and the pump is Blue Line 55 HD 1100gph w/NU-Clear 533 and later NU-Clear 547 , CO2 Reactor , UV Light ,Heater all 1 inch line.
    Any thoughts!

IMO: It should be alright with all the equipment , vales , unions , and so on's I should have a large head loss anyways.

2. inkslinger

Local Time:
    Any body?? 1/2 inch duel Loc-Line X2 {Y slip} for the return in the tank on a 1 inch close loop line system on a 60x18 tank.

3. jmacego

jmacego Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I don't know a specific answer as it depends a bit on how much flow you are willing to lose, but:

1" pipe has cross-sectional area of 0.8", 2x 1/2" has 0.4" so discounting the increased friction losses you'd need 4 1/2" pipes to equal 1 1" pipe. 2x 3/4" is, conveniently, 0.9" so just about right.

4. ntino

ntino Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    the restriction from 2 3/4 is about the same as 1 1" line

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ink,

Why not just go 1" to 3/4"? What do you think/hope will be gained/lost by the further reduction/restriction down to 1/2"?

You can also go 3/4 now and then 1/2 if desired later, then you have a comparison of both configs.......

Or, get 1 to 1/2" adaptors where possible if the 1/2 is what you want, you have to work harder for these parts lol, but saves the 3 step reduction to 2 (1-3.4-.5 to 1-.5). I have done this a lot either direction and they do make many size/type couplers/fittings/etc that facilitate matching different sized lines. Home depot and lowes had it all....just in different sections based on thread or slip..........

I went 1 to 3/4 on my setup and seems to work well for my 180..............

6. inkslinger

Local Time:
    I was thinking the same thing also after looking at the 2 that i built that i should had just gone with 2 3/4 Y split instead