This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloning tropica substrate

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Brian20, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Tropica substrate:
    http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

I was making substrate for sale for a year (limited quantities). Main ingredients is mineralized soil in water, natural 100% clay and peat moss. It works great, I use it in my aquariums too. The problem is that I need 2 months to mineralize soil and making the product is hard and only get $25 for 20 lbs. I make my final batch past month.

I want to clonate the tropica substrate. It easy and not need to wait a long time. yeah it not going to be as good as my substrate but still if it works more than plain gravel and I can sell it more cheap is good. Anyone try this? seems neat and easy to clonate.

2. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Bump! :D advice please :D

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

If you make a lot of sediment at one time, then the labor and time go down.
    In general, you do not make much $ on selling, well, dirt.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

yeah but I only produces like hobbist production, only a big bucket to mineralize soil and then the mixing proccess. I will change to clonate tropica. Not want to make a lot of money, only have a good product for aquarium, at cheap price and better than most commercial.

5. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

How can we mineralize a soil?

6. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

7. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The Best Soil On Earth Has Passed Through A Worm

Hi Jonny,

You mineralized your soil when you did your dry start.;)

In my ever humble, potted plant opinion, the worm poop method is superior to mineralized soil. Having lots of sun, I used to do the mineralized soil thing. I have since found the worm poop and kitty-litter method to be every bit as good, though I cannot speak to the longevity issue.

Biollante

#8 Biollante, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  8. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Thank you both, got it now :)