Cleaning new tank

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Hi,

I've just built a 30"x30" 24" tall tank. There were some chemicals used along the
process; naphtha (Ronsonol), Windex, nail polish removers (scented and unscented).
What should I do to clean out the chemicals?

Thanks.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Rinse well. Fill and dump the tank a few times. Use white vinegar to soak the interior surfaces and wipe then fill and dump the tank. If you're really concerned throw in some carbon and an air stone to move the water around overnight and you should be good. Nail polish remover is usually acetone so that will pretty much evaporate on its own, but the scented stuff probably has some other stuff in there.

-
S

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Windex--Bad, Naphtha, Acetone, Good

Hi Nipat,

Strange as it may sound (Catie Curtis?) the Windex is the most dangerous thing you used, residue-wise. :gw

Decent rinse/wipe-down with a paper towel and preferably distilled, water. :cool: Air dry.

Biollante

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
shoggoth43;56719 said:
Rinse well. Fill and dump the tank a few times. Use white vinegar to soak the interior surfaces and wipe then fill and dump the tank. If you're really concerned throw in some carbon and an air stone to move the water around overnight and you should be good. Nail polish remover is usually acetone so that will pretty much evaporate on its own, but the scented stuff probably has some other stuff in there.

-
S

Great. I thought I needed to use something stronger like bleach.

Biollante;56722 said:
Hi Nipat,

Strange as it may sound (Catie Curtis?) the Windex is the most dangerous thing you used, residue-wise. :gw

Decent rinse/wipe-down with a paper towel and preferably distilled, water. :cool: Air dry.

Biollante

At first I thought it was, from the most dangerous to the least; naphtha, Windex,
nail polish removers. Since I was not sure about naphtha residue.

OK, I will clean it with vinegar and water and let it dry.

Thanks, both of you. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Distilled H2O

nipat;56746 said:
Great. I thought I needed to use something stronger like bleach.

At first I thought it was, from the most dangerous to the least; naphtha, Windex,
nail polish removers. Since I was not sure about naphtha residue.

OK, I will clean it with vinegar and water and let it dry.

Thanks, both of you. :)

Hi Nipat,

Actually from an aquarium safety point of view reasonably pure naphtha is the safest (once dried). :):)

The vinegar and water would have been the better choice than Windex. :)

At this point distilled water (or very clean water) is the best choice. Vinegar brings nothing to the party, Windex has not already accomplished. :cool:

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I've also used Simple Green without any issues but it's touted as non-toxic. I would probably use the vinegar before I'd use that again though. It's easy enough to buy a gallon or two of white vinegar at the supermarket.

-
S

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Clean Out The Pipes

Hi S, Nipat,

Simple green is good, heck you can drink the stuff. :eek:

Naphtha and acetone (scented or unscented) are almost irreplaceable in cleaning up aquarium building goo. :cool:

Biollante

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I find naphtha does better job in removing the ‘goo’ better than acetone.

Just read that naphtha can permeate into skin, scary. Probably only
actone next time, if there will be next time. :)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Aliphatic, Means No Benzene Ring, I Think…

Hi Nipat,

Well I said naphtha is safe for the aquarium inhabitants once dried… For the person using it… Well… Now, that is another matter… It is deadly… :eek:

All kidding aside handle naphtha and acetone (aliphatic naphtha) with care, good ventilation, away from sources of ignition, gloves rated for those chemicals are a great idea. The vapors are heavier than air. :gw

Ronsonol is a brand name of Ronson Corporation, marketing in North America and apparently the Mango Republic... ;)

Biollante

James121

Junior Poster
Oct 14, 2010
Well I can't really tell you how to do tank maintenance since I have a SW tank, but for new tanks I say 50% every other day ( since your tank is small and won't take much water). If you have alage problems get a mag-o-float. I think your on the right track. Are you the person that was wondering if you should put you betta in a new uncycled tank?? Do you have gravel or and places for the betta to hide?

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
James121;57050 said:
Well I can't really tell you how to do tank maintenance since I have a SW tank, but for new tanks I say 50% every other day ( since your tank is small and won't take much water). If you have alage problems get a mag-o-float. I think your on the right track. Are you the person that was wondering if you should put you betta in a new uncycled tank?? Do you have gravel or and places for the betta to hide?

Nope, I don't keep betta.

I was not concerned about cycling, just wanted to know how to clean new tank
before use properly. It's the first tank I build myself. :)