This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Mulm From Vinyl Hose

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by rjordan393, Mar 14, 2013.

1. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    5:47 AM
    Hello,
    Is there a product that will remove mulm from vinyl hose that is safe for fish, inverts and plants? It get messy when I clean them manually using a home made device. If I do not clean my hose every two weeks, it slows down the water flow. The only thing that I think will slow down this mulm accumulation is to raise my suction away from the substrate to about mid-tank.

2. rjordan393

Local Time:
    Ok,
    On another forum, It was suggested I check out what is called a trumpet snake. I saw a picture of it and called my local musical supply store and they had these in stock and also trombone snakes. This tool has brushes at both ends attached to a flexible metal coil. I chose the trombone snake as it fits 5/8 inch id hose and is approximately 40 inches long. The trumpet snake fits 1/2 inch id hose. They work great. This cuts my maintenance time in half in cleaning my vinyl hose.

3. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Those are available in every lfs. I thought you were looking for something without taking the hoses off. Like a fluid or something. Those brushes work great indeed!

4. rjordan393

Local Time:
    The one's that I have seen in the lfs are either too short or they have nylon line attached to a brush and these do not work very well. I tried using one once and trashed it. If the lfs normally carry the metal coil type about 40 inches long, then the store that I favor, must have been out of stock of them. I moved my tank suction intakes away from the gravel and placed them higher. Now maybe I won't have to clean my hoses that frequently. I also added sponge filters on the intakes. I think this will help.
    And yes, I was thinking about some type of fluid that I could put in the night before a water change.

#4 rjordan393, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013