This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing tank--maximum height?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by volvito, Sep 1, 2013.

1. volvito

volvito Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:31 AM
    I am purchasing a new tank and intending plants to be a main feature. I am looking at a couple of Deep Sea Aquatics tanks and wondering whether I should prioritize height. I am deciding between an 80 gallon which is 21 " high vs a 100 which is 25" high. Both are 48 long. I plan on a couple two bulb 48" T5HO fixtures. I want to leave as many planting options open as possible....including a carpet in some areas of Glosso, HC or Dwarf Baby Tears. Owing to the extra depth and light requirements of these plants, would it be more sensible to rule out the 25 inch deep tank, or is lighting likely to be adequate even with this high a tank?

Many Thanks!

2. tefsom85

tefsom85 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This may be a little late, but I'll chime in anyway :). I can't give a definitive answer to your question, there are many gurus on here that can do a much better job. However, I can tell you what I have found to be important to me. I moved recently and downgraded from a 120 48X24X24 to a 40 36X18X17. For me, I have found that the lack of height on my 40 has been very disappointing. I will definitely be going back to a 120 for the increased dimensions. The only downside of a deep tank, for me, is that you will get your armpits wet cleaning a deep tank. I'm sure others have widely varying opinions.

3. AaronT

AaronT Member

Local Time:
    I agree, go for the bigger tank. Limiting the height will keep you from getting some of the taller plants that can be really cool. You may want more light than 4 x 54 watt T5s though. I would go with a 6 bulb fixture with the option to turn on different banks of lights at separate times so you can choose to have lower or higher lighting.

4. volvito

volvito Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you both for your comments.

I have to admit that the taller tank is more visually stunning also.

The suggestion for more lighting is appreciated.

5. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    I don't know,.. Based on Hoppy's light chart, and what I'm finding measuring my Tek fixture, even 4x55W T5 might be a bit too much if they are high quality reflectors and bulbs. I would leave yourself plenty of room to raise the lights higher that way you can fine tune your light situation.

If it were me, I would much prefer a wider tank than a taller one,.. One of my favorite tanks is the 120 at 24x24x48. The height is fantastic for fish like Angles, and Discus, plus it really shows off stem plants, but the 24 inches of depth also gives you lots of room to build the scape and create a sense of depth with the scape making the tank look far deeper than it really is. I HATED my 50G - it was 20" tall but only 12 inches deep. This left almost no room for creativity.

HTH,
    Whiskey

6. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    2:31 AM
    120 are really nice, I hate my 210 because it is too tall. 18 highs are nice too

7. Edvet

Edvet New Member

Local Time:
    I have a tank almost 30 inches high. If you want carpetplants wich take a lot of pruning, i wouldn't go that high. I have to carefully arrange plants in order to get to them. So plants which i have to tend more often have to go to the sides or front. Even then it's a pain. I have to stand on stairs in order to reach the bottom, in order to reeach plants in the back i have to put on dive goggles! The tank looked realy nice when i used realy big swordplants, they didnt need a lot of attention to look good (pruning,snipping of old leaves etc)\
    [​IMG]

8. Edvet

Edvet New Member

Local Time:
    I have a tank almost 30 inches high. If you want carpetplants wich take a lot of pruning, i wouldn't go that high. I have to carefully arrange plants in order to get to them. So plants which i have to tend more often have to go to the sides or front. Even then it's a pain. I have to stand on stairs in order to reach the bottom, in order to reeach plants in the back i have to put on dive goggles! The tank looked realy nice when i used realy big swordplants, they didnt need a lot of attention to look good (pruning,snipping of old leaves etc)\
    [​IMG]