chemical name clarification

brad

Prolific Poster
Aug 2, 2005
Taken from the article tom wrote:
CaCO3= calcium carbonate. (baking soda)

quote from Spar:
Baking soda is actually Na2CO3 and is for KH

My box of baking soda says 100% sodium bicarbonate.

Could someone clarrify.

Also, my gh is 12. If I uderstand properly, it`s nearly impossible that I be calcium defficient, but magnesium is a possibilty.

Thanks.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: chemical name clarification

brad said:
Taken from the article tom wrote:
CaCO3= calcium carbonate. (baking soda)

I never called CaCO3 baking soda and if so, it's actually calcite or aragonite.

Could someone clarrify.

Also, my gh is 12. If I uderstand properly, it`s nearly impossible that I be calcium defficient, but magnesium is a possibilty.

Thanks.

Yep, adding about 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt, MgSO4, per 20 gal 1-2x a week is more than enough to rule Mg out.

Regards,
Tom Barr.

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania

On the topic of adding Mg on a regular basis:

At what point could Mg cause inhibition?

I have a GH of ~6.5 and seem to have Ca defficiency (deformed leaf growth). From all I have read, this could be caused by something other than Ca, for example an Mg overdose. I used to add Mg on a regular basis, but then started adding adding only about 5 ppm of Mg during water changes and nothing in between. My Ca test kit says I have 40 ppm of Ca++ so I calculate my tap water to have about 5 ppm of Mg.

Still have what seems to be Ca defficiency... Should I start adding Mg and if so how much (~75 gallons of water)? And what could be causing the Ca deff. symptoms?

Thanks!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

It's not a Ca deficiency.
Look elsewhere.

Regards,
Tom Barr

PK1

Guru Class Expert
Oct 7, 2005
Pennsylvania

Glad you asked:

50% water changed weekly and I add the following in 75 gal. water col.:
1/2 tsp of each K2SO4, KNO3 & MgSO4
~ 1/16 tsp KH2PO4

I then add the same dose of KNO3 and KH2PO4 every other day, and on off days 15 ml of TE (1 tblspoon of trace diluted in 250 ml water).

What seems to be Ca defficiency is more apparent on my lotus plant & ludwigia glandulosa (which by the way seems a lot more orange than red since I started EI).

To help diagnose this problem here's another clue:

I have been doing EI for the past 2 weeks or so. Plants are growing like mad, and so is green algae. I have a lot of dust algae and a lot of GSA (although less). For the past two days I am slowly bringing up the CO2 level to see if that's the cause.

Any ideas???