cheap way to have a nutrient rich substrate for a 125?

i4yue

Nov 3, 2012
hey guys, Im planning on getting a 125 this summer and Im having trouble with substrate.... I have bought the plant substrates before but just cant afford it for a 125 gallon. I really need a cheap and effective way to substrate the tank but at the same time have good plant growth. so any of you have experienced with anything that has worked... help me please :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Plain sand or gravel can grow many plants. Water column fertilization and root tabs and the like can also help. The choice of plant species also makes a difference. No need for expensive soils. 'How did folks do it before they existed?', he asked rhetorically :)

i4yue

Nov 3, 2012
lol ok, is dirt or anything of the sort more beneficial? or is the dirtiness not worth it.. I also have a bag of Amazonia but just the one bag...
Gerryd;115284 said:
Hi,

Plain sand or gravel can grow many plants. Water column fertilization and root tabs and the like can also help. The choice of plant species also makes a difference. No need for expensive soils. 'How did folks do it before they existed?', he asked rhetorically :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
i4yue;115285 said:
lol ok, is dirt or anything of the sort more beneficial? or is the dirtiness not worth it.. I also have a bag of Amazonia but just the one bag...

Is always good to have nutrients both in the substrate and the water column if possible where they are available as needed.

Check over at the articles or sediment forum and there is a sticky on DIY substrates (boiling worm castings) and the like.

Found :)

http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...asting-for-nutrient-enriched-sediments-how-to

You can use the ADA for those more 'delicate' plants or where the majority of plants will be...

Depending on your goals of course, plain gravel works quite well. fluorite products are attractive and not as expensive as ADA. Many other retail substrates exist as well that work well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
You really only need ferts in the soil under plants that are root feeders...swords, criniums, crypts..etc. To do this, you can easily use Osmocote+. It works really well, and it's affordable.

Stems can draw ferts from the column as Gerry mentioned. So...

1. O+
2. EI

This should work well for you!