This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

cheap way to have a nutrient rich substrate for a 125?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by i4yue, Jun 20, 2013.

1. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    10:54 PM
    hey guys, Im planning on getting a 125 this summer and Im having trouble with substrate.... I have bought the plant substrates before but just cant afford it for a 125 gallon. I really need a cheap and effective way to substrate the tank but at the same time have good plant growth. so any of you have experienced with anything that has worked... help me please :)

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Plain sand or gravel can grow many plants. Water column fertilization and root tabs and the like can also help. The choice of plant species also makes a difference. No need for expensive soils. 'How did folks do it before they existed?', he asked rhetorically :)

3. i4yue

i4yue Member

Local Time:
    lol ok, is dirt or anything of the sort more beneficial? or is the dirtiness not worth it.. I also have a bag of Amazonia but just the one bag...

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Is always good to have nutrients both in the substrate and the water column if possible where they are available as needed.

Check over at the articles or sediment forum and there is a sticky on DIY substrates (boiling worm castings) and the like.

Found :)

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/5633-Earth-worm-casting-for-nutrient-enriched-sediments-how-to

You can use the ADA for those more 'delicate' plants or where the majority of plants will be...

Depending on your goals of course, plain gravel works quite well. fluorite products are attractive and not as expensive as ADA. Many other retail substrates exist as well that work well.

#4 Gerryd, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  5. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You really only need ferts in the soil under plants that are root feeders...swords, criniums, crypts..etc. To do this, you can easily use Osmocote+. It works really well, and it's affordable.

Stems can draw ferts from the column as Gerry mentioned. So...

1. O+
    2. EI

This should work well for you!