Cheap ph electrode but will it work?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Raven,

Quite a few folks like myself have stopped using a ph controller for the c02 solenoid and simply use a timer to keep it on during the photoperiod.

We turn it on 30-40 minutes PRIOR to lights on and 30 minutes PRIOR lights off.

So you need a timer, but they are a few $...

I used to have a controller, but eliminated it and have no issues.

Of course, your bubble rate should be set and stable before doing this.

The controller can react to ph changes that are NOT caused by increased c02, so it shuts off periodically.

We also add small powerheads to ripple the surface to add extra 02. You can increase the c02 rate a tiny bit to compensate any loss from the surface loss.

I had the SMS controller and it was hard to find probes.

I now use a Hanna ph/temp meter that is more accurate and easy to calibrate get parts for as there are newer models..........

Hope this helps.

Raven

Junior Poster
May 6, 2007
Is it equally as bad if the ph-controller is only meant to measure ph, not to control co2 flow?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Not sure I understand your question, but a ph controller is hooked to the electrical solenoid on your c02 regulator setup.

When the ph hits the setpoint for ph value, it simply turns the solenoid off. When the ph is lower than the setpoint, the solenoid is turned back on.

If it only measures ph, then it is not a controller. It has to be hooked to a solenoid for it to work.

I hope this answers your question.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Raven,

In this case you would need to contact Sera to make sure the pH probe can work with your system. The setup Gerry is talking about is more common. The tank has a solenoid attached to it which can be plugged into the wall. This is normally plugged into either a timer, or a pH controller outlet. Your Sera controller is somewhat unusual in that it directly controls the CO2 flow through it vs. the more typical setups that hobbyists use.

-
S

Raven

Junior Poster
May 6, 2007
I have been in contact with sera and the answer i got was that all ph electrodes with bnc plug should be compatible but they couldnt say if it would work or not with non sera-branded ph electrodes and they cost more than i can afford today.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If $ is an issue, I'd not bother with the controller, sell ti and then just buy a cheap pH pen to check things.

Plug solenoid into the same timer as the lighting.
That's what maybe 90% of folks do.

Regards,
Tom Barr